3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help factory amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Markmm0000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help factory amp

I just installed a new alpine deck and got everything going but I dont have any sound comming from the speakers other then the aftermarket sub. I got a harness from Bestbuy and hooked everything up but cant figure out why im not getting sound. I searched everything tried a few things nothing worked. the12volt.com didnt help . anyone know what to do? 05 dodge ram 1500 4x4 reg cab infinity system.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 PM
extremis
Professional

If your truck has the factory "Infinity" system, then it runs off the speaker level outputs of the stereo. It also requires that you connect the Power Antenna wire on the truck side of the harness to the Power antenna or remote wire on the Alpine side. This turns on the factory amps. Also, you may need to make sure the ground wire on the truck side of the harness is connected to electrical or chassis ground.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Markmm0000
Professional

I cant figure out which one is the power antenna or power amp wire from the factory harness. Anyone else have anything to add?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
extremis
Professional

My bad. Was going by experience on the older models... turns out this generation doesn't use that system. The amp is controlled by a pci bus (data) signal from the factory radio. Unless you can find an aftermarket gizmo to control it, you will probably not get it going. I tried attaching a scan from the service manual that shows the diagram of the wiring on the factory side. This might at least let you bypass the factory amp or wire in your own aftermarket, should you wish to go that route. The amp is apparently behind the glovebox.

Attached Thumbnails Need help factory amp-premium-audio-schemati.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

damn hopefully they sell a harness to turn the amp on at bestbuy because its gonna suck pulling wires from the amp to wire something up. I pulled the dash apart today and the amp is wedged between the heater box and the airbag. Ughhhh...

Quick Reply: Need help factory amp