3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

airbag compressor inside the truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009 | 05:42 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by flwalks
I got one of those cheep emergency compressors and keep it under the back seat. Just pull it out and plug it into the cigarette lighter and press them up as needed. Works great and don't have to look for a gas station with a working air compressor.
that is another great idea that is not expensive nice post man

Old 06-22-2009 | 06:12 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I got one of those cheep emergency compressors and keep it under the back seat. Just pull it out and plug it into the cigarette lighter and press them up as needed. Works great and don't have to look for a gas station with a working air compressor.

Old 06-22-2009 | 06:25 PM
nathanp
|
Captain

guess i am lazy.... never thought of that. I just like the thought of going to pick up a load of chemical or something heavey and pressing the switch, pumping up both bags at once and done with. Dont gotta search for a gas station, dont gotta pull out a portable pump and pump up each bag seperatly..... just easier and saves me time

Old 06-22-2009 | 09:29 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

what wrong with mounting it along a frame rail or up under one of them cavities in the bed like right in front of rear tire? that keeps it out of the elements my buddy put his there for his horns worked good and 4 yrs later no problems yet but now that i said that ....i better call him and tell him to order a new one....lol

Old 06-23-2009 | 08:33 AM
BLRam_05
Amateur

I have mine mounted inside the tool box. I only got a compressor because it came with my train horns that i bought off a guy I work with. I also have a tank that has multi-ports in it so that i can fill up my air bags etc... and use the horns at the same time.

If you dont have a tool box, I helped my buddy install his in between his frame rail and the body of the truck, fit really nice under there.

Old 06-23-2009 | 09:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I have one of those As well as a tire repair patch kit tucked under the seats in all my cars plus a spare Serp. belt(ya never know) I had thought about trying it out, but the cord won't reach the bumper when it's plugged into the lighter socket I don't believe. It's too short.

I set my air at 15-20lbs and go like that for most things. if I have a heavier load 40lbs is all i will ever need. I keep a digital tire guage in the truck and check every so often. it's not a PIA like I thought it was gonna be. I fill the bags maybe once every 2 weeks. otherwise, they stay anywhere between 15-20lbs. Not worth the $200 for onboard air for that little use IMO

Old 06-23-2009 | 10:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I didn't opt for an on-board compressor or the auto level kit. I don't tow and haul enough to justify the cost.
I keep 12v compressor in my toolbox, have a small one in my ATV, a 220v in the garage in Florida and another 220v in the barn in Ga.
Not to mention there's almost always a pump at gas stations...

Old 06-24-2009 | 08:19 PM
michaelahess
Professional

I've got an all-in one portable compressor/inverter/jump starter/emergency light/12-volt power pak. Don't need to plug into the power socket and it works great. Under $100 at walmart.

Quick Reply: airbag compressor inside the truck