3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi vs. lightning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:36 AM
zelatore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hemi vs. lightning

I'm a little late to this party, but since I have one of both I can't help but put my 2 cents in.

You guys have pretty much already figured out that stock for stock, a Gen2 L will spank anything short of the SRT10. And the L is really easy to modify since it's a blown motor.

Currently, I've got a near-stock Gen1 L. It's running a MSD6, K&N pannel, and Bassani exhaust complete w/cats (still have to pass CA smog). It's also got the original tired old motor with 200K on it. No blower, nitros, or other power adder.

I just (yesterday) picked up a left over '05 Ram QC Sport, 2wd, 3.92's w/22" wheels, Borla cat-back.

In back to back drives, the L just feels faster. Head to head, it's about 1/4-1/2 sec quicker. Obviously I haven't had them side by side on the track since I just got the Ram. And I doubt I ever will since I'll be selling the L once the weather clears.

Given a few bolt-on's and some break-in miles, I'm hoping to get the new Dodge ahead of the old Ford. But I don't have any misconceptions that I'll be able to stay near a Gen2 L or even a strong Gen1.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:04 PM
paranoid1123

that is true about the ford as work trucks but it's not becaust of the the super duty it's because a lot of governments have contracts with ford to buy them at lower prices and if you look at the trucks doing the plowing they are striped down models not even a cassette player.
ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

If you really want to compare equals you also have to look at price. The lightnings sold for $10K less than the SRT-10. So to be equal you would have to spend and extra $10K on the lightning, so Ford wins there.

The 1/2 ton trucks sell for comparable prices, the Fords I priced were about $2000 more than the Dodges. The Dodge already is faster than the Ford in this category. I would have to say that the Ford feels like a much tighter truck.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks there is no substitute for the Ford Superduty. We had a snow storm about a month ago. I noticed that there were no Dodges plowing, a couple Chevys and 98% of the trucks out were Superdutys. That definitely means something. I used to drive a plow truck for a friend, those guys don't mess around. Time is money.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

3/4 and 1 ton trucks there is no substitute for the Ford Superduty. We had a snow storm about a month ago. I noticed that there were no Dodges plowing, a couple Chevys and 98% of the trucks out were Superdutys. That definitely means something. I used to drive a plow truck for a friend, those guys don't mess around. Time is money.
Who would want to screw up a brand new Cummins anyway. I wouldn't put a plow on a brand new truck.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

ORIGINAL: YeahItsAHemi345

Who would want to screw up a brand new Cummins anyway. I wouldn't put a plow on a brand new truck.
Anybody who has ever plowed for 24 hours straight, which happens often, wants to be in a new truck with power windows, good heat and a nice cup holder. Plowing sucks, plowing in a beat up truck makes it twice as worse.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Squirrel508
Rookie

guys... i dont know what all this arguing is about... when you put to vehicles side by side you look at horse power torque and weight... just cuz its a ford doesnt mean ****... guys just remeber this all the horsepower in the world wont do **** if you cant put it to the ground...and horsepower sells cars and torque wins races...

Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 PM
RedRam225
Professional

Hemi v. Lightning?????

C'mon who needs a Hemi??

My 225 v6 beats EVERY Lightning Ford has made in the last 2 or so years!!!!

We'll bother comparing them if and when they are ever made again.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
HemiJT

I look forward to lining up with a few L's when I get my truck back from KRC. What a surprise they are going to get

Quick Reply: hemi vs. lightning