3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

begining to think chevy is americas best truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
bert6573
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
well someone had to say it $hit its posted all over the "dodge fourm" lol....maby they are trying to tell us something i guess ill go test drive one thanks DF
Negative, for as long as I can remember I've always preferred a Dodge Truck of Ford or GM anyday.

In my opinion, I don't think an import Co. should be in the business of making Trucks. Honest, Toyota trucks suck. The design of the Tacoma and the Tunda is hideous. Same goes for the new style FERD.

The other day a friend of mine called be all exicted I just bought a new truck. Then I realized it was a Tundra. Laughed so hard I nearly peed myself.

All I'm saying is Dodge is my choice of Truck.

If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Actually, and this is sad, if I were going to buy another truck right now, and it was a new truck, it'd be a Chevy 2500 Duramax.

Although I'd look for a cherry Dodge 3500 non-dually 5.9 CTD, before I did that. IMO the 5.9 Cummins is the best light truck diesel ever made, by anyone, period!
Find one with a manual tranny and the thing will be around forever.

The only one NOT having major issues in the diesel segment is GM. The Cummins 6.7 is a joke, and even Cummins said it wasn't ready for the market in '07, but Chrysler pressured them so they could have the first diesel on the market to meet 2010 emissions standards. I know very few people with a 6.7 who do not make frequent trips to the dealer for CELs, almost always having to do with the emission system.

Ford has cut back costs everywhere on the Powerstroke. The latest "bright move" has been the decision to cut the amount of head bolts (yes the bolts used to keep the head cover on the motor) from eight to four (WTF, this musta cut cost by about $4 on a $50k truck!) This has resulted in everything from gasket issues to blown heads. It has prompted Ford to release a statement to dealers that place the approved HP limit right at factory (stock) specs, meaning if you put something as simple as a cat back exhaust on, and it improves output by 1 HP or 1 FT/LB of Torque, you are not covered if the engine fails.

IMO this IS NOT the time to buy a new truck! Despite advertising by EVERY truck manufacturer saying they are working to cut costs while producing a higher quality product, this is not the case. Instead of cutting the costs of the materials going into the product, how about cutting the multi-million dollar plus salaries of the higher ups? And does the average american auto worker really need to make $73 an hour in salary and benefits?
Hammer, I agree and yet I disagree.
The newer 6.7 Cummins, have had some work done to them, they aren't as bad as they used to be. The problem with them, is they were designed to be driven and driven HARD. That's the bad thing, most people that can afford a truck like that won't drive the **** out of one. If you baby them, the 6.7 wont ever complete a regen, and then you end up at a dealer for MIL lights.

I dunno if I would look at a duramax right now. My stepdad has been in the diesel market for awhile now. Started with a 2004 F-350 6.0 PS. Not the best in the world, but it has been a great truck. The head bolts were a joke on them. Very prone to blowing a gasket because they skimped where it counts.
He has been researching the new diesels, and honestly has been torn. The 09 Duramax diesels, aren't near as peppy as GM would like you to think they are. With the new EPA regulations starting to come into effect, Ford is discontinuing their PS line. They can't produce a diesel motor that can run in the same class as Duramax and Cummins. The new 6.4L Dual turbo PS's are getting about 13MPG, no matter how you drive them, or what gearing, drive options, or effect on wheel setup.
Ford's Triton V10 motor is getting better MPG than a diesel, that is truly sad.

Dodge is going to have some problems with their next lineup, mark it on the wall. With their new idea of a Urea spraying system to meet EPA standards, a lot of people are going to walk away from them. Who wants yet another fluid to buy? With them claiming that the urea tanks are going to go anywhere from 4,000-6,000 miles, you can pretty well add about $40.00 on to your oil change costs.
Granted at this point, this new urea system is only going to be standard on the chasis cab, it's only a matter of time until they make it standard on all diesels in their lineup.

I do agree with you on the 5.9 true common rail motors. They will be here for a long time to come. I had preached and preached to my Stepdad about finding an 05- 07.5(early) Cummins, and he wouldn't have an issue out of it. Sometimes, you can't fix stupid, and that's why he just bought a 2009 F-350 6.4L King ranch. 4.11 LSD gearing, dually, 4x4. The good thing is that EDGE claims to be able to get MPG's back up to 6.0L specs.... Only time will tell.
End

Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

chevy ads are EVERYWHERE

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
chevy ads are EVERYWHERE
Hey, why care? They pay the bill, and I think that by itself is priceless.

If you don't like it, just start using Firefox as your web browser. www.mozilla.com
Make sure you install either Ad blocker pro, or Foof. Both of those add ons will block all adds, and if you are on a slower connection, it will speed up load times.

Internet explorer has an add on similar too it, but in my experience with it, that add on makes IE unstable.... A microsoft prrgram unstable??? That's blasphemy!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaiderJay6
Maybe I should post more pictures!

....raider what type of front bumper cover is that on that 04 and do you remember where you got it and it just slides over the chrome right.....

Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Hey, why care? They pay the bill, and I think that by itself is priceless.

If you don't like it, just start using Firefox as your web browser. www.mozilla.com
Make sure you install either Ad blocker pro, or Foof. Both of those add ons will block all adds, and if you are on a slower connection, it will speed up load times.

Internet explorer has an add on similar too it, but in my experience with it, that add on makes IE unstable.... A microsoft prrgram unstable??? That's blasphemy!
lol i don't care, it doesn't make me want to go test drive a Chevy.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jusjay727
....raider what type of front bumper cover is that on that 04 and do you remember where you got it and it just slides over the chrome right.....
Truck Master Designs and I got it from Stylintrucks.com and yes it does go right over the chrome.

Quick Reply: begining to think chevy is americas best truck