3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gremlins in my truck,help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins in my truck,help please.

I have noticed some wierd things happening in my truck lately,and from what poking around I've done here and elsewhere I think I know at least part of it is due to a partially faulty clockspring in the steering column. The cruise control won't work,if you hit the button sometimes it will randomly come on but it quickly goes off in anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds.(I'm pretty sure this is being caused by the clockspring)

The other oddity is my beeper that normally would tell you your keys are in the ignition will sometimes go off when theres no key in the ignition, sometimes for a short time sometimes continously until I either shut the door or put the key in and turn it on,Could this also be caused by the clockspring? Has anyone changed the clockspring out, and if so how bad of a job is it? The local dealership quoted me about $200 for parts and labor.

PS, My Steering wheel radio controls work fine and I don't hear any odd sounds when I turn the wheel. I also had a thought that the trailer brake controller that was installed by the previous owner,might be affecting the cruise control(longshot I know) Thoughts?

Last edited by Bluesmanjesse; 06-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Has anyone done the clockspring job,is it worth $200 to let the dealer do it? THe last steering wheel I pulled was on a 1970 chevy truck.

Last edited by Bluesmanjesse; 06-26-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's easy, but it depends on your level of mechanical ability and tool possession. Also recommend a copy of the FSM. Let me know if you need it.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I think it's easy, but it depends on your level of mechanical ability and tool possession. Also recommend a copy of the FSM. Let me know if you need it.
My Mechanical ability is pretty high I am an Industrial Maintenence Tech. I think I still have an old Steering wheel puller somewhere if I need it. I do not have the FSM (Factory service manual?) Do you have a PDF or something? Thanks ....Jesse

Old 06-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Clockspring in my truck is bad as well. Is your airbag light stuck on as well? I also have the same problem with the cruise.

Everyone that I've talked to about it has told me that it's not something I would want to do myself, because of the danger with the airbag deploying and what not, but you said you are pretty good with automotive stuff, so you may be able to do it on your own. See if you can't find someone who has done this before, or try to find an honest mechanic who isn't just going to try and get u to let him do it. lol

Old 06-27-2009, 03:45 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Ha, looks like I'm not the only insomniac, PM sent.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:48 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
Clockspring in my truck is bad as well. Is your airbag light stuck on as well? I also have the same problem with the cruise.

Everyone that I've talked to about it has told me that it's not something I would want to do myself, because of the danger with the airbag deploying and what not, but you said you are pretty good with automotive stuff, so you may be able to do it on your own. See if you can't find someone who has done this before, or try to find an honest mechanic who isn't just going to try and get u to let him do it. lol
The biggest thing about it is making sure the airbag capacitor is discharged before you remove anything. Make sure your wheels are straight before you do it so that way the clockspring goes in right.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Ha, looks like I'm not the only insomniac, PM sent.
Ya,I work 2nd shift so this is just now getting to be my bedtime. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever

No,My airbag light isn't on,You have to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait like 5-10 minutes to be sure the airbag won't deploy,then it's all good after that.

Quick Reply: Gremlins in my truck,help please.