3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My engine noise video..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
ArkHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap. I not overly mechanically inclined and have no idea what it is but I do know that it can't be good!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:43 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I don't know, the frequency seems a bit slow to be a rod knock or valve train issue, and *most* internal engine component failures don't come and go. It sounds like the frequency is a bit slower, maybe something in the serpentine belt system? A loose engine accessory mount? Interested to see what the dealer comes up with... Did the noist go away for the 2 weeks after the head rebuild was done? Or was it back immediatly?

Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by JoshGotaHemi
I don't know, the frequency seems a bit slow to be a rod knock or valve train issue, and *most* internal engine component failures don't come and go. It sounds like the frequency is a bit slower, maybe something in the serpentine belt system? A loose engine accessory mount?
I agree, you could also get a mechanics stethoscope to help pin point where the the noise is coming from, if you can't find one get a long screwdriver and hold it on various parts with you ear pressed against the handle listening for the sound to get louder or quieter.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
beez
Rookie

Well I called the shop today and it should be done tomorrow. Supposedly it is a bad fuel injector and thats whats causing that noise?!? Seems a little far out to me but I dunno? What do you think?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Toefur
Professional

no way in hell is a fuel injector making that sound..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

How did they explain that the fuel injector was causing that problem? DId they say that a lack of fuel was somehow causing it or what? I agree that sound was not physically coming from a fuel injector.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
abarmby
Champion
Wink

That was "knock" from too lean a mix from the injector............

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
beez
Rookie

Well they replaced the fuel injectors and it seemed to be all copesetic... until yesterday morning. Its been really cold here at night witch my truck only seems to make the noise when its cold. So I am leaving yesterday and hear the noise again. So I give it more gas because maybe I was hearing things then I hear a huge DINK sound and the engine light pops on then off. So I put it in park and look and nothing is wrong. Call the dealer upset and now I have another appt. next monday.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
bigmike05ram

Originally Posted by beez
Well they replaced the fuel injectors and it seemed to be all copesetic... until yesterday morning. Its been really cold here at night witch my truck only seems to make the noise when its cold. So I am leaving yesterday and hear the noise again. So I give it more gas because maybe I was hearing things then I hear a huge DINK sound and the engine light pops on then off. So I put it in park and look and nothing is wrong. Call the dealer upset and now I have another appt. next monday.

sounds like fuel pressure is to low.. wat octane gas do u have in the tank...i'd try two cans of seafoam in the gas it cured my knock few weeks ago.seems its somewhere in the fuel rails or sum

Last edited by bigmike05ram; 07-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
AirBorneRAM

tell them to have your timing chain checked for a broken link, if this is the case then the broken link would hit the cover and thus there is your noise .
Good luck

Quick Reply: My engine noise video..