3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Programmer reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plenty of people had them for a while with no problems. truckin, off road teacher, hammer...

Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
all of 75
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess we'll just have to wait for them to give input.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I had my SC on the truck from 05' til last month when I put on the DSP. No issues at all with it in the 4yrs it was on. And so far no issues with the DSP. What you need to understand with the tuners though is that with their canned tunes they will not release or allow you to alter some of the paremeters that can basically destroy your truck. They have to go by a set of limits while tuning to make it safe for use. With the SC and thier canned tunes you really can not cause any damage unless you up the revlimiter to the 6500rpm mark and keep it there all the time but then you are asking for problems. With the DSP there are some perameters that allow you to adjust timing and knock sensors which if done wrong can cause internal damage as well if you do not understand what you are doing, however, their canned tunes are the same way as the SC theyt set thier tunes to giver optimum performance and keep it in the limits of what they consider safe for daily driving.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
all of 75
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckin151
I had my SC on the truck from 05' til last month when I put on the DSP. No issues at all with it in the 4yrs it was on. And so far no issues with the DSP. What you need to understand with the tuners though is that with their canned tunes they will not release or allow you to alter some of the paremeters that can basically destroy your truck. They have to go by a set of limits while tuning to make it safe for use. With the SC and thier canned tunes you really can not cause any damage unless you up the revlimiter to the 6500rpm mark and keep it there all the time but then you are asking for problems. With the DSP there are some perameters that allow you to adjust timing and knock sensors which if done wrong can cause internal damage as well if you do not understand what you are doing, however, their canned tunes are the same way as the SC theyt set thier tunes to giver optimum performance and keep it in the limits of what they consider safe for daily driving.
Thanks, I just don't want something that will cause premature failure of parts.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sc is a proven, reliable product so you really dont have nothing to worry about...

Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Are you worried about excessive wear or something? If you just load the preset tunes on either of the tuners you wont have anything to worry about. Keep up with the maintanance and you'll be fine. SC really made their tuner idiot proof (not saying you or anyone who has one is an idiot), they went through and tested and re tested everything over and over again (Look at how long they take to release any updates for it, for most updates its going on a year of waiting) so that they are plug and play ready. If you are more mechanically adept than others you can mess with shift points (within a cetain degree) and mess with the rev limiter. Thats it for SC as of now. If you want even more advanced features then go with the DSP since it has alot more ways to adjust features to truely "tune" your truck to your liking however it also has more ways to accidently screw something up if you dont know what you are turning on and off.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM
all of 75
Veteran

thanks. Like I said I just don't want something in there that would make me have problems that I wouldn't have it I didn't have a tuner. That's all. Thanks for all the reassurance. I think a tuner is in my future. (probably a superchips.)

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I'll sel you my old SC for cheap now that redone doesn't need it anymore. I'll have to check to make sure the one I have works with the 03's though (im 99% possitive that it does though)

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
all of 75
Veteran

^ what model is it? PM me for price info please.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You know I checked the box and it says it works for 04-07 dodge ram 5.7L Hemi's so Im not sure if it'll work with your with an update or not. It is the 3815 though.

Quick Reply: Power Programmer reliability?