3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best throttle body spacer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Animal Mother
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh dude totally get one.and then get something called the Tornado. Youll get like 30 mpg AND about 400 rwhp.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lmcjbp
Looking to get a TBS for my 03 4.7. Any suggestions as to what gives the best performance gain?
As stated above, the best one is the one you do NOT buy...there are much better things to spend your money on.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Snake Oil! LOL

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
davb673
Veteran

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
yes. get a junkyard taurus fan or ebay one for $60, get some relays, done. can do it for $80 total.
I bought two fans on ebay, one that I learned after the fact only 2200 cfm, which is NOT enough for a 4.7L at 90* + with the a/c on. I since bought a second one that flows 3000 cfm. I spent $50 at NAPA for the fuse holder and a thermo switch, and about $8 at Lowe's for hardware to mount it to the radiator shroud. Still, it saves hp and gas, and I really like NOT hearing the fan roar when I crank it up in the morning...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by davb673
I bought two fans on ebay, one that I learned after the fact only 2200 cfm, which is NOT enough for a 4.7L at 90* + with the a/c on. I since bought a second one that flows 3000 cfm. I spent $50 at NAPA for the fuse holder and a thermo switch, and about $8 at Lowe's for hardware to mount it to the radiator shroud. Still, it saves hp and gas, and I really like NOT hearing the fan roar when I crank it up in the morning...
So you have the Taurus fan? Reason i ask is cuz in your sig it says you have the Flex-a-lite. I ordered the Fel-a-lite 180 Extreme kit from Moe's. Supposed to be here today.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
casper3380
Veteran

first for the tbs, only way i would get one is if it came with the cai, like AEM's does. They added it for some reason, otherwise not worth it. I do have a question or two bout the efan idea. How much and how difficult to install(also how long to install)? Will a taurus fan really cool one of these hemis? If flexalite, which fan to choose?

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by casper3380
I do have a question or two bout the efan idea. How much and how difficult to install(also how long to install)? Will a taurus fan really cool one of these hemis? If flexalite, which fan to choose?
The Taurus fan will cool one of these trucks if you get the right one. You need the two speed fan that comes of an early 90's 3.8 Taurus. I have been running it for a while now and never had a cooling problem and I only run mine on low. I drove down to the Phils game the other night and sat in traffic for three hours in 90+ heat and the temp never even made it to the middle mark. The install is pretty easy as long as you can do a little wiring.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
hifiwest

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
The Taurus fan will cool one of these trucks if you get the right one. You need the two speed fan that comes of an early 90's 3.8 Taurus. I have been running it for a while now and never had a cooling problem and I only run mine on low. I drove down to the Phils game the other night and sat in traffic for three hours in 90+ heat and the temp never even made it to the middle mark. The install is pretty easy as long as you can do a little wiring.
I like this thread. A TBS is about as effective at added horsepower as a peanut butter sandwich on the dashboard is at detecting radar traps...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the install of a fan? How do you mount it in?

Do you get it out of one of the Robocop style early Tauruses or the bug-eyed looking ones? Do the V6's and I4's have the same fan?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Here is a link w/ wiring diagram, parts list, and model and years for the fan (should also be on 3.8 mercury sables) http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php. I copied that setup on my ram and it has worked very well. For mounting I mounted it inside the stock shroud w/ metal and plastic U-brackets (the metal one's were L's but I bent them into U's of the right size).

Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
hifiwest

Originally Posted by chambers
Here is a link w/ wiring diagram, parts list, and model and years for the fan (should also be on 3.8 mercury sables) http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php. I copied that setup on my ram and it has worked very well. For mounting I mounted it inside the stock shroud w/ metal and plastic U-brackets (the metal one's were L's but I bent them into U's of the right size).
Oh you have the six shooter... this fan won't work for the 4.7 will it.

Any suggestions for junkyard fans to get me to that 3300cfm number??

Quick Reply: Best throttle body spacer??