3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 AM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ancient thread resurrection!!!

So, you DID put a new throttle body in it? Or put it in, and then took it out? Your post is slightly confusing.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Melissa Walton

So one mechanic put put one in it was bad so the other mechanic took it out put a new one in! It had play and worked for a hot second and then stopped working again

Originally Posted by mike_dmt
Ancient thread resurrection!!!

So, you DID put a new throttle body in it? Or put it in, and then took it out? Your post is slightly confusing.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Melissa Walton

It says it can’t be cleaned

Originally Posted by karlmich
spray out and clean your throttle body. it is probably getting stuck. Clean it really good. no carbon or deposits.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Scott Robins
Default Code scanning doesn’t work if the engine light isn’t on.

Originally Posted by lxman1
You need to scan for codes the next time it happens. Then you will know where to look.
I have 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport. If the “Engine light” isn’t on a code scan won’t show any problems. I have one and I just drove 700 miles and stopped for 2 1/2 hours then started driving again within 20 minutes the truck while driving at 70mph just shut off and the ETC light was on I shifted into neutral and tried to restart but no such thing. Got pulled over to road side, got it restarted and the engine had a really rough idle and the ETC light was flashing. Checked fluid levels, and code scan all showing good. Shut engine off and looked up what the light was and started looking at the sensors by throttle body and saw some bare wire fiddled with wires separating them. Restarted the engine and was all good so far. Traveled another 200 miles.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Travis Beatty
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ETC problem solved.

I have a 2003 RAM with the 5.7 170k miles and developed the ETC fault. Would die while driving and have to be reset by turning the truck off and on. No codes. As in none. Turned out to be a vacuum leak, the intake manifold gaskets had deteriorated and were no longer sealing effectively.

The following users liked this post:
Truck _guider (03-28-2020)
Old 09-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Jpease0919

I have a 2008 Ram with 5.7L. It started dying instantly, giving the ETC (lightening bolt) with no codes. It would happen when turning left, and maybe hitting a bump while doing so. It finally threw a P0122, P1128 & P1129. I read all the threads pertaining to those, looking at the wiring harness going to the TPS and found nothing. Finally bit the bullet and installed a new throttle body, and it seemed to be fixed, however, after sitting overnight I had all sorts of problems starting it the next morning. The truck would die and the ETC light would come on; it would take a long crank, then start, and it would go into the limp mode. Finally called in a mechanic buddy with a Snap-On computer, and he reset the PCM and had it relearn the APPS/TPS. Worked okay until I hit a pothole, then it died with the ETC lamp coming on and no codes. More reading started me thinking the Crankshaft or Camshaft Position Sensor. I crawled under to unhook the connectors and saw that the plastic wire loom tubing had disintegrated, exposing the wires going to the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Knock Sensor #2 (it runs between the oil filter and the engine block). Inspecting those wires I found the insulation had broken exposing the bare wires (maybe while the oil filter was being removed/installed(??). Disconnected the Crankshaft and Knock Sensors to repair the wire with tape and install new plastic wire looms on that cable. All the plastic wire looms on this truck are brittle and are disintegrating, so I guess I will begin replacing all of those in the next little while. Anyway, long story short, it seems to have it repaired (for the time being anyway!!!).

Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 AM
tron67j

I was looking for help and came across this forum. My 2003 2500 5.7 ST had multiple error codes and they were pointing to a bad O2 sensor. Pulling a trailer well under what I pulled in the past, the truck went into limp mode. Recently replaced catalytic converter and Y pipe recently. Service technician came out and said that I had a Y pipe with only two oxygen sensors but the 5.7 Hemi was supposed to have four and the error codes were pointing to an oxygen sensor that was not in the y-pipe. They thought at first that my mechanic had replaced a four sensor Y pipe with a 2 sensor Y pipe and had cut two wires. But if he had done that I would have had error lights flashing as soon as I tried to drive away from my mechanic. The service technician did some more digging and determined that Dodge actually tuned my 5.7 to run with a Y pipe with only two oxygen sensors. The 2002 2500 truck had a 5.9 Hemi with a Y pipe with two oxygen sensors. They determined that Dodge wanted to use up some parts and basically made a frankentruck, their term. It appears that the PCM still has some the software in it that is trying to recognize 4 sensors even though Dodge tuned it to run with only two. Just wanted to share this in case anybody else hasn't early 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7 L engine. This may also be an issue with 2002 and early 2003 1500 Rams with a 5.7 engine

Old 07-27-2019, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

2002 2500 and 3500 trucks were still second gen bodystyle/driveline etc. There was likely some carryover in the 03 model year, and the 5.9 engine went away. (not a hemi, it was the magnum motor.)

Old 07-29-2019, 11:04 PM
tron67j

Yeah, that is what they figured as my gen 3 build was a early 2003 with the 5.7 Hemi. Just really messes with service when they have not seen your type of set up before. They originally thought my mechanic reprogrammed the PCM and their first inclination to fix it was new 4 sensor y pipe, wiring harness and PCM. More than the truck is worth. But awesome service people, they kept digging to find right answer. Two O2 sensors later, truck pulls trailer in the mountains with no problem.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Dodge5919
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red lightning bolt light on 03 ram 1500 5.7l hemi

I have dug into this matter and on my ram hemi I have replaced the throttle body with a used one and it worked for a little while ( 2 month's) then the light came back and started the erratic throttle problems and lower power problems again. I just didn't want to accept that the tps just went bad. So, I removed the throttle body and I cut the band sealing the cover of the tps with a dremel cutting wheel and removed the cover. What did I find? I found a little bit of rust particles in there . If you know electronics you know that metal chips and electronics don't get along. So I cleaned it out. (Using electronic safe cleaner and air). Then I put it all back together including the band I cut securing it with a heavy duty zip tie. Reinstalled the throttle body and resetting all codes. Then I performed the throttle relearn procedure and. Walla, I have no codes, perfect start ups and all my power back. This may be your issue or not . I always reccomend not doing this unless you are confident in your mechanic skills. Otherwise take it to a certified mechanic.

The following users liked this post:
Truck _guider (03-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?