3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Doug Thorley Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doug Thorley Headers

Hey guys,

I was surfing around Moe's Performance and saw that they had Doug Thorley headers on special this month. The Chrome's are like 375 and the Ceramic's are 490. Anyone use these headers or have any info on them? I really like the idea behind the tri-Y and think it's a great set up. Not sure if the ceramic coating is worth the extra money, I can justify it, but I'd rather save some scratch. You guys have experience either way?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ceramic unless you want the chrome to rust out within a year.
As for the Tri-Y, they compare gains to midlength headers not LT headers. if you are going LT, just get normal LT headers. primary tube length plays a HUGE part in moving gases away from the combustion chamber. That's why there's little to be had with shoties.
Another thing. Most manufcaturers state ceramic coating. generally this is just applied to the outside. Some man. do specify inside & Out ceramic coating. that's what you want. if that's not what they have, I would get them re-coated or opt for Stainless and then have the stainless ceramic coated.
Ceramic coated headers have more power potential because they keep everything much cooler under the hood.
Here's how the heat with header material goes:
Cast=Extremely hot temps
Mild steel=Very hot
Ceramic coated mild steel=Hot
stainless steel=Hot
Stainless &ceramic coating=warm
Stainless &Ceramic&header wrap=best possible outcome.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

True but alot of the header man. state on their warranty claims that they will not warranty thier headers you wrap them up.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

^^^^ correct, but you still get the max potential with wrapped headers.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The Thorley's have had pretty good test results that I have seen, better than mids, not quite as good as the lower performing LT's though.
'dog is right, don't even consider headers that are not ceramic coated. The nominal extra cost will pay you back with longevity, not to mention the performance benefits.
If you can afford it, buy the stainless and have a good coating shop apply the coating, both inside and out. That's what I did. Over three years now, they still look and perform like the day I installed them...

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hammer. You need to start getting paid for the amount of times you have posted up that picture....lol

Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hammer. You need to start getting paid for the amount of times you have posted up that picture....lol
You know, I was gonna actually type "for the guys who have been here awhile, sorry for the same old pic"...

Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Hammer, yours are pacesetters right?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by truckin151
Hammer, yours are pacesetters right?
Yeah, I researched it pretty good before I got them. They are a good performer and anything on the market that showed really any measurable gains over them were significantly higher costing. Like 2x-3x the cost. The Dynatech's had the best gains of the dyno's I saw, but not significantly better and carried a price of around $1100 UNCOATED!

They are not the best out there, but for the money it's hard to beat them.

It was a while ago now, but I think I had right at $600 after paying for the custom coating which I was able to compare to the Pacesetters with the factory coat after I picked them up. NO COMPARISON!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM
orangeHEMI08
Default Any problems with your headers

I bought a set of pacesetter longtubes for my 08 Hemi and tried to have them installed at the local muffler shop. The owner said that he won't do it because headers are a pain in the *** and they rattle and cause all sorts of problems down the road. Has anyone installed headers, regardless of brand, and had issues not related to a bad install or damage to the pipes? I'm just looking for a devils advocate before I throw in the towel on the mod.

Quick Reply: Doug Thorley Headers