3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My wife is going to kill me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009 | 04:52 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Yeah, What are they? Where can I get a set? And how much?

I was looking at moto metals, But I like them better.

BTW, Keep in mind the stock 20's are worth some money.

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:31 PM
truckin151
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by mmstar23
go for the wheels, as of right now theres not too much that distinguishes you from others...cam can wait
That can be a little fun when palying around though, looking completely stock (well relatively stock) at an intersection to an unsuspecting ford or chevy and (sorry) sometimes other rams and then just flooring it...

Its a really tuff call, I mean the stock rims weigh a ton so upgrading them to something lighter and more stylish is a plus, but more power is ALWAYS a great thing too...

The only plus to doing the cam later on in the year would be the weather would be cooler, not 104* in the garage WITH the swamp cooler going (it helps, just not that much) so both myself and my installer would be a bit more comfortable and I could take my time gathering and ordering parts.

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:43 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Weight at the wheel and tires makes a huge performance difference, plus takes a lot of wear and tear off all the front end components.
I know I influenced a certain moderator into ditching his heavy a$$ stock 20" wheels in favor of a good, lightweight (yet stronger) set of 17" aluminum wheels when he bought his new tires.
Big difference for him, even before he went to 4.56 gears. Now with those, I would imagine it'll be night and day after he suffers through the break-in peroid...
I wonder who you're talking about...

Truckin' get the rims. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of that style, but hey, it's your Ram, get what you like. Those stock 20s are unbelieveably heavy, so anything lighter will help you out in terms of acceleration and braking. Just to give you an idea of how heavy, my stock 20s with no tire are only 2 pounds lighter than my 17s with 33 inch tires.

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:53 PM
truckin151
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 05RamMan
Yeah, What are they? Where can I get a set? And how much?

I was looking at moto metals, But I like them better.

BTW, Keep in mind the stock 20's are worth some money.
Im trying to not make my truck look like everyone elses!!! Oh well, cant not share I guess... sigh... As of now the only place I have seen these are at Discount Tire:

- G-FX OR9 (They are a branch off of the Voxx Wheel Line)
- 2 Finishes available All Flat Black or Flat Black Lip w/ Machined Face (the ones I want).
- 20X8.5 5-139.7 18FBF
- $179.00

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:56 PM
cjs4444
All Star

^ do it man.....get the wheels, you already convinced yourself it would be better for you and your guy when it gets cooler to install the cam.....

Old 07-14-2009 | 06:27 PM
truckin151
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by cjs4444
^ do it man.....get the wheels, you already convinced yourself it would be better for you and your guy when it gets cooler to install the cam.....
I haven't convinced myself of anything just yet, I can think of just as many pros and cons for doing each of them first or waiting to do them last...

Old 07-14-2009 | 06:30 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

as much as i want to say do the wheels first i vote cam. your doing all the engine stuff now so i would just get it done all at once and wait for the wheels later in the fall

Old 07-14-2009 | 08:43 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by truckin151
I know but we are talking two different smiles hear.... sure I'll be grinning ear to ear everytime I sink my foot into the pedal with the new can and wide open headers... but when I get out of the truck its still going to have that same stock look that Im begining to not like as much...
There are other things you can do to change up the look of the outside besides new rims to hold you over until later in the year. Once you get that cam in you won't even remember that you running stock rims bc you will be so happy with the performance that you get when you put your foot in it.

Old 07-15-2009 | 11:04 AM
truckin151
|
Grand Champion

Im just going to play it by ear for this one and see where it takes me. Its not like the things I want will not get done if I do one or the other first.

Old 07-15-2009 | 01:50 PM
bigmiah22
Veteran

Just do it while she's at work and see if she even notices it

Quick Reply: My wife is going to kill me...