3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pros and Cons of 35s

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009 | 12:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

35's looked too crammed and you'll rub. You need a 3" body ift and a level kit. Stick with the cost effective 33" tires and if you don't want a really harsh ride, don't get E-load rated. a D-load will be enough for a 1500 series. After all, stock is a 4ply.(c-load) This will make rougher roads much smoother and will be more gentle on your suspension components.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2009 | 11:26 PM
SARRAM
|

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I had heard that I would get reduced mileage with the 35s but I put 8000 to 12000 km (5000-7500 miles) a year on the truck so it wasn't a huge concern. I don't like the idea of doing damage to the front end however. If I was to go for a 3" lift in the rear what would you recommend, keeping in mind I don't just want a spacer in there. Also if the rear goes up 3" does the front go up 5" to level? The idea with the truck has always been to keep things practical, the offroading I do generally consists of logging roads, wide skid roads etc. I prefer to do my hunting on foot not via the truck so it gets parked early in the day. I won't be making any trails, jumps or burying it in mud, thats what your buddies trucks are for Anyway suggestions on solutions that are tried and true would be terrific. I really appreciate you boys taking the time to write.

PS: rubberfrog that is one sick truck, love the safari rack

Cheers,

Old 07-22-2009 | 09:26 AM
Menace2Authority

As far as tire width and snow is concerned.... the wider tires act like "ski's" in the snow. DRIVING in 4x4 with a wider tire doesn't make much of a difference as long as you're on the throttle a bit when turning. HOWEVER.... STOPPING in snow with wider tires is a whole different ball game... and 4x4 doesn't help your braking power.

That being said... just keep your current tires and pay the 50 bucks to have them put back on in the early winter/late fall.

And as others have said... from my own personal research recently.... 33's is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of 35s