3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: What to do?
Rancho 9000XL's
36.84%
TTI Headers w/Magnaflow cats and Y
52.63%
Neither
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Can't decide against shocks or headers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Can't decide against shocks or headers??

I am going to spend money on soemthing....lol
It will either be Rancho Quicklift shocks up front paired with their 9000XL's for the rear along with a front end alignment. OR a set of TTI Headers?

Now, the shocks whould give a much better ride quailty versux the very bumpy and wandering stock shocks. Along with that, it will set the front of the truck level and give it stunning looks.

The headers, being Longtube, will surely deter the dealer from doing much of anything that involves the engine/transmission...etc I don't have any issue's pulling them off before any major service work, but I don't plan on going them for ANYTHING unless my ecu needs a reflash. Besides, I have until 36kmi before I have to start bringin it in to them for the 5kmi check-ups to keep the Powertrain warranty. I'll only go back to stock say...if the tranny blows for instance.
So, is it worth the hassle and headaches to go through all that? it will be a very long time before I hit 36kmi as I have had the truck for well over a year and have 6kmi on it.
Headers are used and I'm getting a super deal. I just don't know what to go with????? Shocks won't effect anything as far as the warranty goes, so it's a toss up. Shocks all together with alignment will cost $600 headers are $900
Great deal on both???? What to do??

Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a tuff one... If you were closer to the end of the powertrain warranty I'd say go with the headers/cats/Y but since its not I think I would go for the shocks and save the rest to put towards the headers later on down the road...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Me personally, I would say headers but at least you have done the math and know that route will cost more. What about cutouts/mufflers/tips/welding? And the price goes up :-(

Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'll keep my Mag catback as the tone will obviously change. it will get deeper and of course a bit louder so I would be happy with that alone. No need for cut-outs at that point. I want stainless so i can use slip connectors and have zero welding to rust.

However, I have been leaning towards the shocks as it won't effect anything as far as warranty related work goes unless I get the death wobble some guys are having???
It's just that the headers are such a bargain, it's hard to pass by. One good thing about the shocks, my wife will never know the difference....lmao

hey weed, you get my parts packed up yet? I'm not happy unless it's Christmas at my door step atleast once every 2 weeks!..lol
I'm a recovering buyaholic. When I was buying for my Mustang and i didn't see the UPS guy for more than a few days, he would get worried....lol

Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I say level it out and go with the better shocks, you tow, would make a big difference, plus ain't nothing looks crappier to me than a 4x4 with the nose pointed at the ground.

You can't do the suspension work now, and pick up the headers and sit on them awhile if they are such a great deal?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

pick up the headers and sit on them awhile if they are such a great deal?

i would if i had the cash. I don't wanna throw them on a charge card because then the wife can see and plus it would add another $900 to the bill which would put me over on my daily use card for what I will allow myself. I've got the cash for the shocks, but I'm 2-3 hundred shy of all out cash war!
There' goes the schooling fund....lol j/k

I've been saving and haven't bitten on the detroit just yet cause it's gonna run me $700+ to do the install by the time i buy a spanner tool, get new Timken case bearings and get my stuff from Weed, and going through the diff changes at 500 miles. It's under warranty and I'd rather do other stuff for now.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-16-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha i would go shocks and wait later for the headers. you want your truck to ride smooth when its going fast lol

oh and join the college club lol

Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm headin over to the local audio shop here in a sec and go over some sound solutions. Maybe that $300 diff. will come in handy in another dept..hehehe
I'll keep ya posted!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are worried about the warranty issues then dont do the engine work just yet. I have under 10k left on my powertrain warranty so with all the stuff Im doing I really dont care to much. When I got the gears done I got a 3yr/36k warranty from the shop that did them on all parts and labor to cover if the rear goes out, and Im getting the guy doing my engine work and trans work to warranty his work for the first year as well.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me I would go with the headers, but that is probably bc I am looking to get myself a set as well so I have that mindset at the moment.

Quick Reply: Can't decide against shocks or headers??