3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Headlight Poll (Stock Housing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight Poll (Stock Housing)

Anyone with HIDS:

Do you have the HID single kit with Low beams only HID or the Bi-Xeneon (Moving bulb) kit?

Which is better?

Is the non-moving bulb bright enough (shine high enough)

What does the non-moving bulb have for high beams?

Does the moving bulb work well?

Thanks for the info......my fogs have the 5000k in them and work great....now its time for headlights

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
bigmiah22
Veteran

HID's are a pain in the ***, i have the low and the hi/low kit. Only able to get the low hid kit to work though, still with some flickering. Going to spend probably all day tomorrow doing whatever i can to get the hi/low kit to work. Just hope you dont have problems like a lot of us do that buy the kits

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

I have the HID low and halogen high on mine. I got them from HID's by Twiggy. (Google search) No flickering and no lamp out issues like the cheap kits you can buy! I dont use the high beams except to pass NY inspections.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got the Bi-xenon in stock housings. HID hi/lo are really useless IMO because you never get alot of light from the HID hi. I bought my kit from Chad (Unique Coatings) and I didnt have any issues hooking them up or getting them to work

Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
butch1581
Captain

Thanks for the info....not sure what to do, but seems like the HID-low Halogen-high might be the best option.... Hopefully the kit for the headlights works as well as the foggers did

Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 PM
butch1581
Captain

Wouldnt the halogen bulb that is glued to the hid affect the light output? I wish they made a low only H13 bulb, then I would just get hellas behind the grill and aim those high..... not too impressed with the options so far. I just have a hard time believing that the HID low only would shine high enough witout blinding.....I really thought my Fog HIDs would have been brighter too.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by butch1581
Wouldnt the halogen bulb that is glued to the hid affect the light output? I wish they made a low only H13 bulb, then I would just get hellas behind the grill and aim those high..... not too impressed with the options so far. I just have a hard time believing that the HID low only would shine high enough witout blinding.....I really thought my Fog HIDs would have been brighter too.
You can't have an H13 bulb as both. It's one or the other. having halogen highs with HID lows is useless except to maybe pass inspection. There's no way Halogen highs are gonna shine close to the same output as HID lows.
Any HID inserted in NON projector housings cause glare for oncoming drivers. Regardless of those who haven't been high beamed, doesn't mean oncoming drivers weren't effected. Look at the cfut-off that a true HID inside a projector husing creates. It's the 5th pic. Here's a write up about HID's that will explain any and all questions you may have
http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
mopardad68
Rookie

thanks for the link dirty dog, that was very informative and stopped me from spending money only to have to buy projector lights for the Ram, now ill save $ and do it right, Brian Lee

Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM
butch1581
Captain

I know there is a huge debate about the HIDs in stock housing.....I just think projector headlights look dumb on our trucks. I think I might just keep the setup I have. (Stock heads and HID fogs. The fogs work great and "flood" the area close to the truck, but don't really stretch out very far. What are my other options for headlights besides projectors? Any better halogen bulbs (I know silverstars are junk)? Higher watt bulbs? thanks

PS The H13 is available with HID low and Halogen high. Just look anywhere on ebay!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright i just got hids in my headlights and havent been flashed ONCE!!!! if you adjust them right your fine. the "i have to get projectors is crap '" imo

Quick Reply: HID Headlight Poll (Stock Housing)