3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM Surges at Highway and Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Agustin Velasquez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's the best results I have seen on here. I haven't changed my spark plugs in over

pyro: I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. I recently been having a lot of problems with it. It used to idle while at a stop light bad but now it's doing it on the freeway. I haven't changed my sparks plugs in almost a year. Can that be he problem. Also if it's cold outside it doesn't stay on. I have to keep the RMP up for the truck to stay on.what can it be?

Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
TRobert

Two things I would consider Augustin, blowby from the engine back into the intake does happen. Too much blowby seemed to cause at least one of my plugs to begin pre igniting. I had to make it myself but a simple catch can added into the pvc line will dramaticly reduce the oil that is run into your engine. The other thing, and this is more likely your issue, is replace the throttle position sensor. It's only about $40 and is easy to replace.

GL

Old 01-26-2017, 11:58 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

replace your throttle positioning sensor, buy oem. the 4.7 don't like aftermarket, also clean TB, probably a lot of carbon built up, but remove from truck for cleaning, the 4.7 really loves the autolite 3923 plugs, they are a step cooler than stock champions.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Agustin Velasquez
Default 2002 idle problems

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. I recently have been having a lot of problems with it. I had someone tel me to change the throttle position sensor and the spark plugs and I did but it's still giving me the same problems. This is what it does. When it's cold outside, truck won't stay on. I have to hold the gas for it to stay on. But after I let go of the gas, it cuts off. It will do that a couple of times before staying on but then the idle gets worst. Once it heats up, it will stay on without any problems. I have videos but I can't upload them on here. I just want to know if it's the fuel pump or idle control or both. It's driving me crazy trying to figure this out.

Quick Reply: RPM Surges at Highway and Idle