3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PWR WAGON Tranny RPM flutter in OD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Shawn Bowman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PWR WAGON Tranny RPM flutter in OD

2005 power wagon with just under 250k on it. Truck gets a ton of miles and some hard use at the farm. I have a few tranny issues. Sometimes on a cold start, the tranny doesnt engage right away when put in gear. After a minute or so of warm up, its fine. This has been this way for 2-3 years and a **** ton of miles. Within the last year, the rpms's float around in overdrive. Like it hiccups. The rpms kind of spike and lower, spike and lower...etc. i will video if i can get some help. This morning, i got anxious and didnt give it any warm up time and gave her gas. Tranny wasnt engaged and then kinda bumped in. Threw a P 0700 code. 3-4 months ago i did filter changes and fluid changes. Made very little difference in the RPM fluttering.

Another issue i have is unrelated. The darn service 4wd light came on. I have the swaybar disconnect and lockers on this wagon. The light came on after i had the sway bar disconnected. I got it to lock back in but then the light came on and it will not unlock.

Any help or opinions....or even just bs is appreciated.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Shawn Bowman

i should have added a little more.... the times when the tranny doesnt engage on a cold start are very few and far between. today was the first it did it in prob 6 months

Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Shawn Bowman

The P0700 cleared. After the 3rd start the fault cleared and check engine light is gone.

Trasmission still has RPMs roam around a little in OD. About 1-200 rpm little spikes.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There's an external filter on the trans that had been known to cause late gear entry when first started up. This was only on early filter models due to leak back and it takes several seconds to build up the fluid and pressure.
Change the external filter out and that should solve that prob.

As far as your floating rpm. That could be a few diff causes but is probably due to old fluid that has lost it's viscosity and friction modifier properties.
I would suggest a pan drop, change the filter and add 7 new qts. Do this along with the external filter.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Shawn Bowman

i did the filters and fluid a few months ago. it made a slight difference but the issue is still there. i read a bunch of different threads and one of the things that came up was possibly an alternator issue. they were saying the alt could be sending out crazy voltages or something.

i didnt know about the external filter....thanks for the tip

Old 01-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Shawn Bowman

Originally Posted by dirtydog
There's an external filter on the trans that had been known to cause late gear entry when first started up. This was only on early filter models due to leak back and it takes several seconds to build up the fluid and pressure.
Change the external filter out and that should solve that prob.

As far as your floating rpm. That could be a few diff causes but is probably due to old fluid that has lost it's viscosity and friction modifier properties.
I would suggest a pan drop, change the filter and add 7 new qts. Do this along with the external filter.
any idea on location of this filter (if mine has it)

Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Shawn Bowman

trying to post video

Old 01-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Shawn Bowman

this is at about 65 with steady throttle

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1263.MOV (3.78 MB, 18 views)