3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

symptoms of a bad EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM
unixfool
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I just got home from picking up the truck (no pun intended).

They didn't take it to get the ECU reflashed...they ran out of time before I had to have the vehicle back. They want me to bring it in tomorrow to take care of that. They did replace the EGR valve (don't ask how much they charged me :| ) and gasket. The didn't do the emissions testing since they wanted the truck to go through a drive cycle or two.

The CEL is still on, even after driving home 24 miles. I expected it to turn off on the drive home, but since it didn't, I disconnected the battery after I got into my driveway. I'll leave it disconnected for an hour before reconnecting the battery and checking to see if the CEL turned off. Hopefully, it'll stay off until tomorrow morning or afternoon so I can take it (to a different place) to get the emission test done, but it has to be off when I take it in, and stay off.

The invoice notes did say that they verified that this was the part that was generating the CEL. Based on that, there should be no other issue, so this CEL should've cleared by now. I'm thinking about just driving it around for another hour or so to see if I can get it to go out if it's still on after reconnecting the battery.

I've no real idea why this place insists that the code needs to be reflashed. That's the stumper. They seem to know what they're doing but I've had OBD-II cars that had to have emissions parts replaced over the years that didn't require code reflashing. Maybe if I take it to another place and get a second opinion, I'll get a good answer or they can tell me, "it's not needed."

With all they did, this whole thing still cost me quite a bit, so if I stay with this store, it's gonna cost me over $600. Hell, I'll keep the car in the driveway with expired tags before I pay that much and look into the issue more when I get back from vacation.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
unixfool
Amateur

Fixed ===> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...rk-w-pics.html

Will see if it stays off throughout tomorrow then take it in to get tested tomorrow evening or the day after...that link is very cool. Definitely adding that to my Delicious account.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Yeah the check engine light won't turn off on it's own after the part is replaced unless you clear it I don't think. You have to drive x number of miles, and the truck will turn it off on it's own after it's fixed. Something about making a "trip" long enough for it to get a good reading is what my friend told me. Then again, he's kind of a goof...but Idk maybe he's right haha. You could have just stopped by an autozone and asked them to let you clear it>.<

There's also a way to do it by yourself. I'm guessing that is what you linked to though haha

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
jfrerichs89
Rookie

With my egr valve bad if i would try and maintain a speed of about 10mph the engine would be really rough, also my gas mileage was noticeably going down. I kept driving it with the light on cuz i didnt have any time to fix it. I tried cleaning it and resetting the comp but that only worked for about 10 minutes of driving. I then ordered a new one, installed it in about 20 minutes and reset the computer. Truck drives better than it has since i bought it and the gas mileage is now somewhat decent.

So long story short, even if you do decide to clean it, order a new one asap. (None of the 3 autozones in town had one neither did the 2 advanced autoparts) plus its the easiest fix youll prolly ever do with your truck

Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM
pavester
Professional

so my cel came on today p0406. gonna order a egr tonight. after i check oreillys for one.

i take it my symptoms of rough low throttle feel, surging, near stalling are caused by this bad egr?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM
04 blue Hemi
Smile symptoms of bad EGR Valve

Replaced mine at 35,000 miles just a few weeks ago. Easy swap, did not need the flash. I had my Buddy at the local Dodge dealership print up the service notice on the flash and they recommend replacing the unit and flashing the computer before starting rig again....He asked the mechanics in the shop and they said if it needs the flash it will run very poorly with the new EGR valve, if it does not need it it will run fine. Mine ran fine, so I did not have the flash done.

My gas mileage went from 12.5 to almost 15 just by replacing the egr valve. I did not replace it however until the check engine light came on, it gave several codes, one being for the egr, but I did not notice any drive ability issues, except maybe a low idle, and poor gas mileage. New egr valve however took car of it.

Last edited by 04 blue Hemi; 07-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Dskaggs20
Amateur

I talked to local autozone and they said my vehicle does not have an EGR

i have a
2002 dodge ram 1500 2wd 4.7l single cab short bed

Also where would i find it in my engine compartment?

thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
unixfool
Amateur

Originally Posted by 04 blue Hemi
Replaced mine at 35,000 miles just a few weeks ago. Easy swap, did not need the flash. I had my Buddy at the local Dodge dealership print up the service notice on the flash and they recommend replacing the unit and flashing the computer before starting rig again....He asked the mechanics in the shop and they said if it needs the flash it will run very poorly with the new EGR valve, if it does not need it it will run fine. Mine ran fine, so I did not have the flash done.

My gas mileage went from 12.5 to almost 15 just by replacing the egr valve. I did not replace it however until the check engine light came on, it gave several codes, one being for the egr, but I did not notice any drive ability issues, except maybe a low idle, and poor gas mileage. New egr valve however took car of it.
This is JUST the type of information I was looking for! Thanks!

Apparently, I'm in the same boat you were in. My truck is responding very well to the new EGR valve without the computer being reflashed. Driving in to work this morning, the CEL stayed off and the truck purred the whole trip. Even with the bad EGR, the truck acted fine, though.

Again, thanks!

BTW, I thought my truck had low mileage for its age (58K)...man, you must not have long daily commutes or use it on long trips.

Last edited by unixfool; 07-30-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
04 blue Hemi
Smile

Originally Posted by unixfool
This is JUST the type of information I was looking for! Thanks!

Apparently, I'm in the same boat you were in. My truck is responding very well to the new EGR valve without the computer being reflashed. Driving in to work this morning, the CEL stayed off and the truck purred the whole trip. Even with the bad EGR, the truck acted fine, though.

Again, thanks!

BTW, I thought my truck had low mileage for its age (58K)...man, you must not have long daily commutes or use it on long trips.
No Problem, glad it worked for you. Having a friend at the Dodge dealership sure helps at times, unfortunately his dealership is one that got closed (but he can still hook me up with good dodge info and get me a good deal on parts). On the mileage, I got a good deal buying the truck last year with only 26,000 miles on it, and I have a work provided rig, so its an errand vehicle with the occasional drive through the gravel roads in the mountains and snowy roads in the winter. Seems some of these trucks have the same problems...if so watch out for your electric door lock to go out, mine did two days ago (after bouncing around some mountain gravel washboard roads), but it was a pretty easy fix and about $50 for the part.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM
dodgefinatic13
Exclamation Stuck with problems

Hi, im a newbie here and i have a 1995 dodge dakota that i bought about 3-4 months ago. Ever since i bought it it has been idling rough and when you let off of the accelerator it drops in rpms around 5-700 and sometimes it dies. it only does this when the engine is warm. I have replaced the IAC and checked the PCV, TBS, and TPS, all fine. Ive read on here that it might be the EGR valve, is that possible? I need help i dont know what to do now any help would be great thanks. This is a 3.9L 4x4 and also my check engine light has never came on. Does it have to be on for the EGR valve to be bad??

Last edited by dodgefinatic13; 01-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: symptoms of a bad EGR valve