3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tx, it may very well be the gears since that was what was last touched. But you can start checking the u joints since that is the cheapest route and if they are good, take it back to the shop and have them inspect the install. Since you are looking for a problem I would inspect the gears/oil, check the back lash and maybe the rotational torque of the pinion. If all is good then you can eliminate the differential and U joints as the noise source. Good luck and let us know what you have found.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 AM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Tx, it may very well be the gears since that was what was last touched. But you can start checking the u joints since that is the cheapest route and if they are good, take it back to the shop and have them inspect the install. Since you are looking for a problem I would inspect the gears/oil, check the back lash and maybe the rotational torque of the pinion. If all is good then you can eliminate the differential and U joints as the noise source. Good luck and let us know what you have found.
Red- What do u mean by they were the last touched? The gears in my truck are the original gears. Last thing i had done to the rear end was about 51000 miles had the diff fluid changed my dodge then about 64560 had it changed again because of the howling. I thought that maybe it was low but it was about a a year ago that dodge first changed it and it did not start until about 63500 miles and now im at about 65000. Gears were never touched from what i was told. I have heard from some people that it might be pinion angle because of the drop but i didnt know so i figured i would hit yal up. Im worried because i am taking the truck to Oklahoma in 2 weeks and dont honestly want something to happen. What would be the best thing to do in yals thoughts? keeping in mind that im very low on funds.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by TXhemi5.7
Red- What do u mean by they were the last touched? last thing i had done to the rear end was about 51000 miles had the diff fluid changed my dodge then about 64560 had it changed again because of the howling. I thought that maybe it was low but it was about a a year ago that dodge first changed it and it did not start until about 63500 miles and now im at about 65000. Gears were never touched from what i was told. I have heard from some people that it might be pinion angle because of the drop but i didnt know so i figured i would hit yal up. Im worried because i am taking the truck to Oklahoma in 2 weeks and dont honestly want something to happen. What would be the best thing to do in yals thoughts? keeping in mind that im very low on funds.
Sorry TX, thought you recently had the gears installed. Howling is usually associated with the gears back lash being out of spec. or bearings. In your case I would look closely at the U joints. If you aren't sure with the shaft in place then I would drop it to check. Any red dust around the joint is an indication they are dry. Dropping actually decreases pinion angle. Good luck..

Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 AM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Sorry TX, thought you recently had the gears installed. Howling is usually associated with the gears back lash being out of spec. or bearings. In your case I would look closely at the U joints. If you aren't sure with the shaft in place then I would drop it to check. Any red dust around the joint is an indication they are dry. Dropping actually decreases pinion angle. Good luck..
Thanks Red! I will let yal know whats going on. If anyone else has any ideas let me know il pretty much up to look for whatever to stop the damn howling! lol

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM
lowlife916

Lol im hoping not. They only do it while i am in drive or cruising in neutral. I can sit there and barely put my foot on the gas right before the engine revs in drive and i can hear it. So i was thinking it was the u joing
Like the other guys the first thing I think of when someone describes howling from the rear end would be gears. Typically with gears they will be much louder when accelerating than when at cruising speed or rolling in neutral. If the noise is just as loud when rolling in neutral check the axle bearings. You may have one going out on you and a long road trip is a bad setting for an axle bearing that is going bad.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

If it is gears then what would yal recommend as in new different gears? i either had 3.55s or 3.92s. If i go with different ones what do yal recommend when all i do is mainly street and some highway but next year it will be alot of highway since ill be driving from Houston to dallas almost every weekend.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

456s..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

How much of a change would that be from 3.92s?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

How much of a change would that be from 3.92s?
Tx, 3:92 changed to 4:10 give very little change. I went from 3:55 to 4:10 and wish I had gone to 4:56. The basic rule of thumb is 33" tall tire and bigger 4:56, smaller than 33" 4:10. I have 30" tires and was talked out of the 4:56 as I was ordering. I will probably change to 4:56 in the future. do it right and do it once....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

How much of a difference will i experience in gas mileage from 4.10s and 4.56s? I will be running from Houston to Dallas and back almost every weekend and im trying to figure out which will be better for the highway....any help? Thanks

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....