3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah you know what they say. once you go black...oh no wait. a 2/2/ would only cost you about 65.00 for shackles, cut the front springs=done

Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

HAHAHA no..... I have a specific overall stance and look I want to give the truck that has been planned out for a very very long time. So a 2/2 is all that would be done, anything more and the look would be off.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flipped

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
yeah mine is flipped + shackles rides great. i think you will need longer u bolts. just cut one coils off the front springs that will drop you 2"

here is a write up from another site. i asked him how it is 8 months later and he still loves it. this may be a little more drop than you want but you could add shackles to lift it back up.

"well everyones been asking how i droped my truck for hardly nothing...i started out goin to a place that sales utility trailer parts ..an i bought some axle perches for 6bucks...took my factory bumpstops off an did the flip an welded the perches in..i got 6inches of drop i used all my stock hardware (ubolds shakles etc) for the shocks i just went to orilleys an found some shorter ones..i think i paid 25 bucks for the set of shocks . now if your wanting a 4.5 drop in the back just do the flip an all you need to get is some longer shackles to lift it the 2-2.5 inches

..belltech sales em they're around 65 bucks.. just go to a parts house an ask for some belltech drop shackles for a ford are chevy..

for the front i just cut a full coil off.. which gives 2inches of drop...an cut the bump stops off..

the truck rides wayyyyy better than stock...an looks alot better ...

every were i looked they sale 2/4.5 drops for around 500 bucks.. i did mine
2/6 for around 30bucks in less than a half day by myself..."
Hello,
Did you have to notch the rear frame? If not, how much clearance do you have between the frame and axle? Your ride has just the right look in my book. Well done.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Anyone tell me how to drop the front of a 4wd 2 inches? Loosening the Torsion bars will mess up the ride. Im afraid the only good way to do it would to replace the spindels, however, I don't seem to see any spindels made for the application.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker

im not notched in the rear, i have about 4'' (give or take) of travel. it bottoms out quite a bit, but if i drive carefully it wont. i wanna go a tid bit lower, so when i do im gonna buy a notch kit and put it in. theres not way i could go an inch lower and not ride the frame. as for the 4wd question... ya got me there. i only know how to lift 4wd's.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

im five down in the rear never bottom out back there. no notch. rides great. ill try to get some pics tomorrow. McGaughys makes the 2" drop spindle. i have seen pleny of 4x4 use them and i had them installed on my 05. where are you located there is a set NIB in tulsa going for 200.00 thats about 250.00 less than retail

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1366708705.html

pick them up they prob wont last

Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 AM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
im five down in the rear never bottom out back there. no notch. rides great. ill try to get some pics tomorrow. McGaughys makes the 2" drop spindle. i have seen pleny of 4x4 use them and i had them installed on my 05. where are you located there is a set NIB in tulsa going for 200.00 thats about 250.00 less than retail

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1366708705.html

pick them up they prob wont last
There listed as being for a 2wd. I am actually up around the Tulsa area alot. 2wd's use coil springs where as My 4wd has torsion bars, I don't see how they would fit.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

here is from a slammed1 archive. i wish brian was still in business.
he would have this settled in no time. he was the drop guru.

"The McGaughys kit is proven and works great compared to the only other 4x4 kit out and the McGaughys one is easier to install too.

The only issues that have been reported were from guys NOT using their 4x4 ciorrectly or as the manual stated OR had altered the ride height for more drop than 2-4 which placed the axles in a bad angle and when 4x4 was engaged he axles either broke or bound up badly.

The kit works great as long as you drive the truck smart and dont abuse the 4x4 when engaged.....by this I mean using 4x4 while in a very tight turn while applying power OR using 4x4 on dry pavement in the wrong way. There are thousands of these 4x4 trucks dropped with no problems but only a hand full that ever had issues......not trying to scare you,just giving you all the info I can."

-------i dont know if Mcgaughys mad different spindles for the 4x4 but i doubt it. one way to know for sure. contact the seller for a part # and let him know you are interested. and the call mcgaughys to see if it will work.---mike

Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

he is who i got my 4x4 drop for my 05 from and i never asked him if there was a difference. springs or torsion bars shouldn't matter, they both have spindles. but i do think you have to have 18" wheels or above. if you do happen to call mcgaughys ask them about it.-----mike

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn now truckins looking to lower too... ill tell ya i went lower for a more sportier stance i used just drop shackles and removed my o/l leaf that gave me a real nice stance you might wanna try that first truckin i really like it just wanna go lower.....3/5 would be perfect ...if you dont like that route maybe a small 2/4 would look good i think a 2/2 with the rake looks odd maybe its just the rake thats odd....

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....