3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had them both and both are great tuners, but what sets them apart right now is the ability to tune the partial shifts with the DSP, cant beat them right now and who knows when SC will actually release the new updates for the trans control, and there is a noticeable difference in mpg between the two as well, the dsp gave me an extra 2mpgs with their performance tune over the sc performance tune.

Go with what you want, but IMO the DSP is the way to go.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
mine will throw you back in your seat at WOT shifts with the superchips

Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
Had them both and both are great tuners, but what sets them apart right now is the ability to tune the partial shifts with the DSP, cant beat them right now and who knows when SC will actually release the new updates for the trans control, and there is a noticeable difference in mpg between the two as well, the dsp gave me an extra 2mpgs with their performance tune over the sc performance tune.

Go with what you want, but IMO the DSP is the way to go.
the releases are a couple of weeks away and will be worth the wait

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

05DodgeRamHemi - I guess the other question you need to ask yourself is how far do you want to mod out your truck? If you are only looking at doing simple bolt on mods and dont need the ability to actually tune your truck (catback & intake) then go the SC route, if you are looking more along the lines of a cam and heads or any other serious engine mod then the DSP is the way to go.

They are both great tuners and they both have good features to get your truck performing up to the way it should be running, there is no "wrong" choice when deciding between the two. In my experience with both though, the DSP gave me a faster 0-60 time and overall better mpg (city/hwy) than what the SC did.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Cant wait for DSP!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Then find someone that has had both and get an unbias opinion (if you can ) on the difference in the tunes. That's your best bet IMO
I've had both of them............ within the last week .

It really comes down to what you want to do with your truck imo. If you are going to do basic bolt on's like CAI, exhaust, intake and stop there then the SC is probably the best choice for you as you can get it a little cheaper and the canned tune from either tuner will suite your needs just fine. On the other hand, if you are planning on going further with your truck to the point that you will need the ability to get a custom tune for your truck then the DSP is the way to go. The DSP also allows you to adjust your trucks shift schedule which at this point, the SC will not allow you to do. It might be coming but is not out yet for the SC. You just need to assess what you are planning on doing to your truck in the future and what needs you will have.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
sc 3865 is 318 new, diablo is 375. once the new trans updates are released for sc there will be no comparison.
yea yea yea...lemme guess you know this from what you hear? The thing about SC users is they always brag about what they will have...yet they never have anything. The SC options will more than likely just be partial throttle and the super secret shift firmness...while it would be nice it is by no means a game changer.

That is the sale price for the 3865 and the DSP price with usb/power adapter from moes. SC's own site has the 3865 for $379.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

i have the diablo and without changing the shift points that I can change my truck jumps from 1st to 2nd, like it wants to pop a wheelie.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM
hemipower05
Professional

lets say someone, like me, buys a tuner and does the high performance tune and enjoys it, but after a while wants a lil more power.... so i start to fiddle around with the tuner.... is it possible to tune ur truck so hard or so much that you can b doing damage to your truck? and tune yourself on the road to destruction or breakin something?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
yea yea yea...lemme guess you know this from what you hear? The thing about SC users is they always brag about what they will have...yet they never have anything. The SC options will more than likely just be partial throttle and the super secret shift firmness...while it would be nice it is by no means a game changer.

That is the sale price for the 3865 and the DSP price with usb/power adapter from moes. SC's own site has the 3865 for $379.
umm no man i know directly from him

Quick Reply: Slow Shifts