3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemipower05
lets say someone, like me, buys a tuner and does the high performance tune and enjoys it, but after a while wants a lil more power.... so i start to fiddle around with the tuner.... is it possible to tune ur truck so hard or so much that you can b doing damage to your truck? and tune yourself on the road to destruction or breakin something?
uhh yea if you dont know what your doing with the settings dont mess them. diablo had issues with that already with blown trannies....

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemipower05
lets say someone, like me, buys a tuner and does the high performance tune and enjoys it, but after a while wants a lil more power.... so i start to fiddle around with the tuner.... is it possible to tune ur truck so hard or so much that you can b doing damage to your truck? and tune yourself on the road to destruction or breakin something?
You certainly could with the DSP. Since it gives you the ability to adjust timing and fuel at WOT it is possible for someone to do some damage if they messed with the parameters and don't know what they are doing. I guess that is part of the good/bad of the DSP, it gives you more adjustability than the SC does but it comes at the price of possibily doing damage if you don't make adjustments properly.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like you want more trans stuff than power. in that case, I say SC. I don't think DSP will be able to do what SC will be able to with trans stuff. And despite waiting forever for the new tunes, they are seriously coming out very soon. Sil (a site member) is already pre-beta testing them, and the beta test will be out this week. won't be long at all after that. I have heard from a reliable source (that owns a DSP) that SC will change the game when these new options come out...I hope it isn't just hype.

If you are looking for power, DSP is the way to go. they are more aggressive, but like teach said you can also do some damage if you just go pressing buttons. If you plan on doing major mods in the future (cam, heads, etc..), then DSP is the choice hands down.

btw, DS was what, a year and something late with the release of the predator for the ram?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I still want to know HOW it is going to change the game for trans tuning, but thats a discussion for another time after they release it.

Like the others have said you absolutely can damage your truck with the programmers. You could possibly damage it with the SC as well if you start screwing with shift points and set the rev limiters to high for the stock components. The DSP can (and will) cause a lot of damage really easily if you adjust something that you dont know how to use. I have said it before if you want one that is really user friendly the SC is the way to go, if you want something more technical go with the DSP. Either way you go, being that the truck in question is an 05', once the trans features for the SC are released there wont be much separating them.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'm hoping diablo will bring part throttle fuel/spark to the DSP like the other make/model DSP's. Fuel wise you'll be able to make your fuel trims damn near 0% driving around town and you won't need a custom tune for injector swaps and/or FI/cam/nitrous. That and PT downshift for my year and i'll be i'll heaven.

Quick Reply: Slow Shifts