3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Loss, Missfire on Cylinder One, Big Problems Ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 PM
scottiedog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

An update, the oil looked perfect so I decided to bite the bullet and take it to my local mechanic. He was concerned about the milky stuff under the cap but he did a compression test on all the cylinders, all within 1 or 2 psi, pressurized the cooling system which lost half a PSI over a couple of hours, checked the plugs again and found nothing....so this has now turned into a mystery! He had no idea what the cause could be and suggested, that if it was his truck, he would just use some sealant and keep an eye on it. I have never been 100% sure on the sealant stuff, but he says if I follow the directions on the can exactly I won't have an issue. Anyone else use it?

Thanks again

Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottiedog
I looked at the back firewall and could see a small inch hose sticking out of the passenger side, quite a bit of fluid was dripping out of there.
Did you find out if it was leaking coolant here or what this was?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
scottiedog

I believe that was the evap drain for the ac. Since its been 100F here the AC is running all the time when I run the truck, I was able to get my hand in the back there and it did not smell like coolant.

The cylinder one misfire is appeared again, but tonight when it cools down Ill get my meter out and check the resistance of the coil.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I'm more concerned w/ the coolant loss and where it's going. Did you see any coolant on the cardboard you put down?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
scottiedog

I looked at the cardboard this morning and all I noticed was one small puddle however that was from the evap drain, I am 100% certain about that. I pulled up tome of the carpet and it was dry as a bone, so my thoughts of a leaky heater core were wrong. Its a mystery!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well hopefully someone has some insight on where it's going.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

For the misfire you could try checking the plug cables and see if somehow it is rotted or has melted and is arching somewhere else. The coolant, Im still putting money on a slow leak somewhere, you just have to find it which is the problem. Fill it up and drive it around for a bit to get it all warmed up then take every light you can find and go over every inch of the truck and see if anything is leaking or dripping. It may be pooling up somewhere you cant see.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I though coolant was supposed to be NON corrosive?
Yeah, ok...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Now DexCool is the worst, but ALL radiator fluid becomes quite acidic as it ages. Fresh coolant is not corrosive, but over time it becomes so...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
roadney
Professional

does your truck have the coil packs? if it does switch cylinder 1 and 2 and if the misfiring cylinder changes than the problem is with the spark. I would also switch plugs. my 3.7 gave a misfire code and I replaced the plugs and it went away. Old plugs looked fine though.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM
MontanaRAM
Captain

check hoses for the coolant leak, probably a split in a hose that opens up as you drive.

Quick Reply: Coolant Loss, Missfire on Cylinder One, Big Problems Ahead?