3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "I hate ford" rant (overheating with elec fan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My "I hate ford" rant (overheating with elec fan)

I'm currently in the process of driving 2000 miles with a 10,000lb trailer from California to North Dakota (MAJOR mountains along the way). I have a brand new Taurus e-fan wired on the low setting (i think -- its the brown/red wire). If i recall, the brown/yellow is high speed. In the process of pulling this 10k lb load up 8-10% grades for 10+ miles at a time, i keep overheating (oh yeah, the outside temp has been between 85-105 the whole time).

I like the e-fan normally, and never had a problem with the thing overheating until i do this heavy towing expedition. Either way something has to be done. Im tired of pulling over every 2 miles to let the truck cool down...it takes forever to go anywhere, and it not good for the engine either. so what do i do?!?

1.) Will wiring this e-fan up to the high setting definently fix the problem? Its obviously the cheapest fix, because i already have the fan. If i should go this route, does anyone have a wiring diagram, because i know its a much heavier gauge wire and higher amp fuses/relays are a necessity

2.) Take out the brand new e-fan (only has 200 miles on it) and buy another clutch fan (threw the old one away) to ensure adequate cooling.

Thanks for the help

edit: by the way, i had to blame someone for this overheating and since ford makes the taurus fan, i blame ford for making inferior products :P

Last edited by AF_HEMI; 07-30-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Try the high setting first. Why not, it's free.

What CFM is the fan pulling at the low setting? I know I've read somewhere that the Taurus fan pulls about 2800 cfm (I would assume that's on high).

My Flex-A-Lite 180 Extreme pulls 3300 cfm which is not a great deal more than your Taurus fan and I've pulled a 7000# plus tractor on a 21' dual axle trailor with NO issue whatsoever, so I can't see that fan of yours not working if it's set to pull the rated 2800 cfm...

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

If you're moving on the highway, the motion through the air, fan or no, will provide sufficient cooling. My fan doesn't run at all on the highway, just in stop 'n' go.

10,000 lbs is a lot of weight. Sounds like there may be other issues here.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10k load for a 1500 seems a bit much to me

Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, 10,000lbs seems like it would be on the high side for a 1500 to be pulling..

Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

What is your current wiring setup, like any relays, wiring gauge, fuses?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i'm with mike. i don't think this is a fan problem. moving highway speeds will move way more air than your fan. you should be checking your coolant level, and check for hot/cold spots on the radiator (seems plugged rad is common). i bet its a plugged rad

Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

i've been reading other threads about overheating and im thinkin it could be a plugged up rad also. i've never had a problem before though... its only been since pullin this load.

yes, i know 10k is a lot, but i'll tell you this truck is having ZERO problem pulling it. the combination of all the power adders, 4.56 gears, weight dist hitch, and brake controller this thing honestly tows like a dream.

currenly i have the power side (assuming low side -- brown/red wire) tapped into the 20 amp cig lighter adapter (accessory position). its definently on low because this thing doesnt have much force at all. Anyone know what the cfm on low is?

as for clearing the potentially blocked radiator, anyone have any good suggestions?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
I'm currently in the process of driving 2000 miles with a 10,000lb trailer from California to North Dakota (MAJOR mountains along the way). I have a brand new Taurus e-fan wired on the low setting (i think -- its the brown/red wire). If i recall, the brown/yellow is high speed. In the process of pulling this 10k lb load up 8-10% grades for 10+ miles at a time, i keep overheating (oh yeah, the outside temp has been between 85-105 the whole time).

I like the e-fan normally, and never had a problem with the thing overheating until i do this heavy towing expedition. Either way something has to be done. Im tired of pulling over every 2 miles to let the truck cool down...it takes forever to go anywhere, and it not good for the engine either. so what do i do?!?

1.) Will wiring this e-fan up to the high setting definently fix the problem? Its obviously the cheapest fix, because i already have the fan. If i should go this route, does anyone have a wiring diagram, because i know its a much heavier gauge wire and higher amp fuses/relays are a necessity

2.) Take out the brand new e-fan (only has 200 miles on it) and buy another clutch fan (threw the old one away) to ensure adequate cooling.

Thanks for the help

edit: by the way, i had to blame someone for this overheating and since ford makes the taurus fan, i blame ford for making inferior products :P
Nothing pulls as much CFM as a fully locked clutch fan...that's the reason why you'll never see HD/Diesel/18 wheeler trucks with an electric fan.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

not sure how to help ya AF, but if you're coming through the bozeman area you should stop by and give me a holler, be good to meet ya in person.

Quick Reply: My "I hate ford" rant (overheating with elec fan)