3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NEED HELP, have codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM
rsm688
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP, have codes

2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi 5.7L with 39k miles

Well a week and a half ago my check engine light popped on and a mile and a half later my truck died, popped the hood and my 3rd coil on the passenger side had started melting and blew a fuse. Swapped them out and yesterday check engine light pops on, and a red lightning bolt looking light in the bottom right of my dash, it feels like the truck starts missing and feels like its running rough so I pulled over stopped. The coil had split open at the top and was melting, I replaced the coil (i bought an extra when I got the other one thank god). However the truck would not run right, it smelled very strongly of gas, gray smoke from the exhaust and took my foot on the peddle to get it to start up and ran awful rough after that. Pulled it up on a trailer and got it back home.

The truck is pulling codes P0205, injecter circuit open cylinder five, and P2317, ignition coil f secondary circuit. Anyone have any idea what my problem could be, I desperately need to get my truck fixed as I am out of town and need to get back home.

Thanks,
Spencer

Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a problem like this on a jeep xj throwing codes for open injector circuits, ran like crap. replaced the infected injectors, ran great ever since no more codes.

but with the ignition coil code your problem could be deeper than a bad injector.
start with a good inspection of all wiring and connections. i just re read post and saw the melting part. definitely sounds like wiring problems..

Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
hemipower05
Professional

so i looked through the manual and that lil lightning bolt thing has to do with the electronic throttle control.... is it flashing or is does it stay on?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:16 PM
hemipower05
Professional

and where is the pack melting from? more towards the wires? or towards the block?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP, have codes