3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tunner questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tunner questions ...

Do the likes of super chips, billydog, or any tunner really do any thing that warents the price? Here in calgary, I have seen some tunners of 450.00 to 550.00 cdn a pop.

Seems odd that that you spend that much to improve your mileage when that kind of money can buy a lot of flue.

Like any hemi blooded person, I want more power, but I'm now commuting in 20 mim each way to work, I'm not driving on the highways much thease days, due to the 6sp in my truck, its a torquy, powerful animal on the prowl, thats hungry for gas.

On the highway, my truck is really good with flue, can a tunner increase city mpg in a 6sp 2500 Ram?

I have true dual ex on the truck, that along helped H/P and mileage ( or I just think it did )

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy one just for mileage...you'll see a gain but not enough to warrant the cost.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

you would most definitely notice an increase in power though.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

A tuner is not something you get for mpg, because it will take awhile before the fuel saving pay off the tuner, however, it will generally improve your mpg. The true advantage of a tuner like a Superchips is the improved throttle response, improved shifting, and the extra power from the performance tune. I've run the mileage XS tune from superchips, and it's terrible, however, running the performance tune with 93 octane made a huge difference in the way the truck drives, and gets better fuel economy to boot. To me the change in driveability justified the cost of the tuner, and the increased mpg offsets the extra 20 cents a gallon for gas.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pyro
A tuner is not something you get for mpg, because it will take awhile before the fuel saving pay off the tuner, however, it will generally improve your mpg. The true advantage of a tuner like a Superchips is the improved throttle response, improved shifting, and the extra power from the performance tune. I've run the mileage XS tune from superchips, and it's terrible, however, running the performance tune with 93 octane made a huge difference in the way the truck drives, and gets better fuel economy to boot. To me the change in driveability justified the cost of the tuner, and the increased mpg offsets the extra 20 cents a gallon for gas.
Yeah I agree with Pyro, its not just the MPG increase, It all the performance improvements that comes with it.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

ok... Than why did dodge, ford or gm, or even brand X not tune thier engines for the best performance and mpg from the start? Why dose the after market have to fix or adress issues truck brands can't do?

I can understnd the phyical alterations, air intakes, ex, bolt on stuff, the electronics is something I don't understand..I understand the cconcept of what tunners due, but because its something I can't see, I'm skeptical.

My next question is due thease tunners work with manual transmissons? 100 rpms and belwo, My rpms do not decrease when I shift gears, the RPMs are held to make acclerating and shifting quicker, I kinda hate this..

Is thier one brand of tunner thats better?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner

I got my Diablo about 2 months ago, and I love it! Getting more power, about 1-2 mpg better and got rid of that damn MDS! Shifts better also while towing my boat.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
ok... Than why did dodge, ford or gm, or even brand X not tune thier engines for the best performance and mpg from the start? Why dose the after market have to fix or adress issues truck brands can't do?

I can understnd the phyical alterations, air intakes, ex, bolt on stuff, the electronics is something I don't understand..I understand the cconcept of what tunners due, but because its something I can't see, I'm skeptical.

My next question is due thease tunners work with manual transmissons? 100 rpms and belwo, My rpms do not decrease when I shift gears, the RPMs are held to make acclerating and shifting quicker, I kinda hate this..

Is thier one brand of tunner thats better?
Who knows...probably emission reasons. All I know is my truck was running rich as hell from the factory and getting soot all over the place.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Can a tunner lower my Rpms and give me close to the same H/P ( random example of 60 mph ) or do the Rpms stay the same and H/P increased?

My truck is not doing well MPG wise, its the worse it has ever been, no more 18 to 20 MPG hand calculated high way at 60 mph, I down to a bought 12 to 14 mpg, plugs, oil all the baisc mainance items up to date, I did notice my stock air box is lose arround the fender area ( foam gasket is not tight )

No decrease in power, may be crap gass ....

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
draco8494
Captain

ur talking about a 6spd man right? if so the tuner wont do anything for your shift points, cuz obviously you control them, and yes getting gas at diff gas stations have an affect on MPG's might be slight but its there, if you want better mileage ide suggest an E-fan and a change in ur drving habbits, try to shift sooner and not on the gas so much...unless you do this already...

Quick Reply: tunner questions ...