3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help with ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Prodago1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with ball joint replacement

’02 2wd 4.7 quadcab.
I’m going to try and replace upper and lower ball joints. Can anyone give me a step by step procedure. I’ve tried to use the c-clamp tool but never could get the top of the lower joint perpendicular with spindle in order to use it so I know I’m doing something out of sequence. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance
John I have some pics of my lower that I can post but I figured if you know enough to tell me how to do it then you don’t need the pics

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the search button newbie. There's enough info out there.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

looky looky. 2 second search brought me this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...placement.html
It';s a diesel but it still gives you the same idea.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Prodago1

Originally Posted by dirtydog
looky looky. 2 second search brought me this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...placement.html
It';s a diesel but it still gives you the same idea.
Hey that's great and I'm sorry if your elbow is hurting from patting yourself on back, however both upper and lower joints have caps, not snap ring as your looky looky site shows. I will admit it is an in depth procedure for a 4x4. Next time, before you start patting, find me a 2wd 02 that looks like this

Attached Thumbnails help with ball joint replacement-img_0634.jpg   help with ball joint replacement-img_0635.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Prodago1
Hey that's great and I'm sorry if your elbow is hurting from patting yourself on back, however both upper and lower joints have caps, not snap ring as your looky looky site shows. I will admit it is an in depth procedure for a 4x4. Next time, before you start patting, find me a 2wd 02 that looks like this

Listen newbie. You Never even looked before you posted. Oops. I'm sorry I even helped show you something that actually should help you. An attitude like that will get you NO ANSWERS and will get you a one way ticket out of here pretty quick.
Find your own damn sh*t.
If you don't know how to do Balljoint/suspension work you shouldn't be doing it at all. It is dangerous if not done properly. That's a standard balljoint. There's thousands of vehicles that have that style. Do a little searching for yourself and don't make others do it for you.

I hate when newbie's offer nothing and only sign up to get their answers and run.
Why don't you spend your own time looking for what you need to get this way you don't have to worry about guys that like to pat themselves on the back and point fingers at guys who are clueless.

Ohh...btw...found a 2wd balljoint replacement, but you'll have to find it for yourself!!! SEARCH FUNCTION
How's this for patting myself on the back....

Last edited by dirtydog; 08-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Prodago1

Wow and a huge chip on shoulder to boot. There's one of you guys at every forum.......

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Prodago1
Wow and a huge chip on shoulder to boot. There's one of you guys at every forum.......

Here's the problem. You JUST JOINED TODAY and your being a wise *** because I said looky looky and use the search button. If you have been around as long as some others you'd realize how short we are with guys like you.

if you seem to find all the chip on shoulder guys on the forums. That means YOU could be the problem????

Saying that I pat myself on the back is not going to help you. I was actually helping you out the same time I was biting my tongue as I didn't even have to post a damn thing.

I'll tell ya what....Be on here for more than 6 months or have more than 200 posts and I would have written you a step-by-step procedure. I'm done wasting my time.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Prodago1

refer to aforementioned post

Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow!!!! .anyways you have to press the ball joint out it should be just like doing a regular one. i rented a balljoint press from autozone,I don't remeber what it cost though( the deposit thing).it is true though if you really don't know what your doing,you probably shouldn't do it( i'm not saying you don't).there is alot of pressure on that spring and it can fly out and kill or hurt you if your not careful.but, on the other hand the first time i did it.I had to figure it out also.It really not that hard just becareful.

Last edited by rtmtrrdr; 08-11-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Prodago1

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
wow!!!! .anyways you have to press the ball joint out it should be just like doing a regular one. i rented a balljoint press from autozone,I don't remeber what it cost though( the deposit thing).it is true though if you really don't know what your doing,you probably shouldn't do it( i'm not saying you don't).there is alot of pressure on that spring and it can fly out and kill or hurt you if your not careful.but, on the other hand the first time i did it.I had to figure it out also.It really not that hard just becareful.
Thanks rtmtrrdr for your civil, non-condescending reply. I've talked to several more people and think I've found the kinks. I'm no stranger to tools but I'm not a mechanic either. And this "straight forward" job as everyone says is not as easy as they make it seem. ie: spring slamming arm down. I'm not removing the shock so it shouldn't come shooting out (at least I hope not. ) I also rented the compression tool but I couldn't get it to line up since it was too close to the knuckle, ergo all of the questions. but thanks for your advice and have a great day.
later
John

Quick Reply: help with ball joint replacement