3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WiFi for your car/truck?? Anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Cartastic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow WiFi for your car/truck?? Anyone have this?

I was looking at buying the wireless router from Autonetmobile.com since they are having a $199 sale... Has anyone used this device yet? I know that Cadillac and VW are backing this product which means it must be pretty good. I also read an article that says it's way better than a cell card because it manages the data ... causing you to not lose connection.But my main question is ... has anyone actually used it .. especially in Ram??

Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep in mind that you still have to pay for the wireless connection and not just the equipment. I use my cell (PocketPC) to supply my laptop with wireless when Im out of town and not near a wifi spot. There are many ways to do it.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Keep in mind that you still have to pay for the wireless connection and not just the equipment. I use my cell (PocketPC) to supply my laptop with wireless when Im out of town and not near a wifi spot. There are many ways to do it.
^^^+1

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

i have a 3g card. it works fine every where i want to go. plus i use it at home.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

There is acutally PocketPC (PDA) software out there that will let your mobile device act as a wifi spot and other devices can pull wireless connection off of it. I use PDAnet on my PocketPC

Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

verizon wireless just came out with a portable wireless 3g hotspot thing that can connect up to 5 connections. i think it was alot cheaper than $199 but dont know if it works with other devices but it looked hella cool.....

Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by nim81
verizon wireless just came out with a portable wireless 3g hotspot thing that can connect up to 5 connections. i think it was alot cheaper than $199 but dont know if it works with other devices but it looked hella cool.....
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...=products_mifi

Read at the bottom where it says

Connect when and where you need to on America's largest and most reliable 3G network.
Plans starting as low as $39.99 monthly access.

And you know they are going to make you sign a 1-2yr contract. And at $40 a month thats anywhere from $480-$960. Ouch.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Cartastic

Yeah, I looked at that MiFi thing .. there are a few problems with it though ... A. it is not meant for the car so from what I have heard ... if you try to use it while the car is in motion .. you will keep losing connection.... so .. no streaming ... no large file transferring .. like music downloads or whatever ...
B. Look at how much the data costs!! I know from my cell card that I use around 1 GIG per month ... that would be about $100 a month from Verizon for the MiFi..,... and they lock you into a 2 year contract :/ that's $1200 per year!!!! ouch

So , $29 flat fee per month from autonet looks like the way to go .... I just still need to hear from someone that has actually used it while in motion ... :/

Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
nicholoff

look into the sprint or verizon mifi card. seriously small as hell and works great

Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they just said it sucked, didnt you read?
i just saw a commerical i didnt reasearch it , they had cartoon characters in a car with the mifi on the armrest, the cartoons looked happy with it.. lol

i wouldnt get verizon, could you imagine that freaky guy following you around everywhere. screw that!

Quick Reply: WiFi for your car/truck?? Anyone have this?