3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 4.7L... Turbo? Supercharger? Both?... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
KBlackman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 4.7L... Turbo? Supercharger? Both?... Opinions?

I have an '06 1500 4.7L and I'm really thinkin about major engine upgrades. I really like turbochargers and superchargers for their obvious advantages. My question is: Which one would be better for this engine? What are some of the best brands/kits out there for this truck? Are their any people out there who have installed both? That I guess would be the ultimate goal... supercharger for the lower rpms and a turbo for the higher ones...

Please let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

First off, to even try to run a supercharger and turbo on a 4.7 would be stupid.

Second, i only know of one company who made a supercharger/turbo for a 4.7l, and i don't even know if you can still buy it or if it was ever released. Most kits are for the 5.7l Hemi.

And third, this isn't a bolt on and go mod.

If you're serious, Kenne Bell is the best. After the price of the actual supercharger, all other upgrades, installation, and tuning You're looking at 7k-10k

You can't just slap a forced induction system on a 4.7l and go. It takes a lot of upgrades and other parts to make it run properly.

Here's the link to Kenne Bell.
http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge.../47ramsohc.htm

Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keane bell is nice upgrade if you do towing. If you dont tow, maybe sts turbo will be good for you.

STS turbo is nice and it will be there if you need more power at like 3000 rpm or higher.

www.ststurbo.com

Old 08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

STS doesn't make a kit for the 4.7l? At least not one i know of

Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
STS doesn't make a kit for the 4.7l? At least not one i know of
No they dont make a kit but you can install on 4.7 motor. Some 4.7 charger has been installed with no problems. I just dont remember what website.

Sts has universal kit. You could get hemi kit and fit in. only problem is that engine is different.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain

Differences between them is not great by the engine design. Hemi kit should able to fit on 4.7 with minor fix.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 AM
KBlackman

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
First off, to even try to run a supercharger and turbo on a 4.7 would be stupid.

Second, i only know of one company who made a supercharger/turbo for a 4.7l, and i don't even know if you can still buy it or if it was ever released. Most kits are for the 5.7l Hemi.

And third, this isn't a bolt on and go mod.

If you're serious, Kenne Bell is the best. After the price of the actual supercharger, all other upgrades, installation, and tuning You're looking at 7k-10k

You can't just slap a forced induction system on a 4.7l and go. It takes a lot of upgrades and other parts to make it run properly.

Here's the link to Kenne Bell.
http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge.../47ramsohc.htm

ok so what are some of the internals that would need upgraded??

Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM
draco8494
Captain

if ur gonna spend that much, u might as well get a hemi crate and a stand alone and sell allllll of your stuff for the 4.7 and supercharge that beast...then ull have a hell of a truck

Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KBlackman
ok so what are some of the internals that would need upgraded??
Few things you'd need. Investing in a new cam wouldn't hurt either.

-Larger fuel injectors
-Intercooler
-computer chip or computer programmer
-Larger fuel pump
-fuel pressure regulator

These parts are needed because the increased cylinder pressure generated by pushing more air into your engine needs more fuel to avoid having a lean mixture. Since your truck computer doesn't know that you installed a supercharger, it can't compensate enough for the added air being pumped into the engine. A lean mixture will generate so much heat that the mixture will start igniting before the spark plug sends a spark, known as detonation. The knock sensor will catch it and it will retard the timing, but because the detonation is being caused by a lean mixture, retarding the timing won't help much. Under severe detonation pistons can actually break, or connecting rods can also break by the force being applied by the burning mixture pushing the piston down when it is trying to go up.

Intercooler helps to send cooler compressed air in to the cylinders. It works like a radiator, but instead of water passing through it, the air being pumped by the supercharger passes through it to help it to cool down before it enters the engine. Larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump allow the modified computer to send the extra fuel needed to have a correct mixture now that the supercharger is in use.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go to the third gen dakota sec. and look up blown287 post, he is running a turbo on his 4.7, any questions you have. he can answer

Quick Reply: '06 4.7L... Turbo? Supercharger? Both?... Opinions?