3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dtc p3400

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 PM
JCOUCH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P3400 deactivation Cylinder bank 1?

I am having the same problem did you get it fixed was that the name of the part? I called Dodge and they acted like i have 2 heads and said there was no MDS Solenoid. What part did you replace to fix your issue. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
IOVMatrix

Jcouch are you sure you have MDS?? Not calling you stupid but from what I have read there were some Hemis in Rams without MDS.

On a side note My truck just threw this code and only this code. At exactly 55000 miles. I took it to the local Autozone and there system said that it could be a Blocked oil Passage, low oil pressure, or a bad module or sensor. So i did an oil change with new filter and disconnected the battery for 25 mins to reset the computer. i have put about 30 mi after the oilchange and no lights have come on yet.

Before resetting the computer the performance was not very good but after the reset it was a whole lot different. alot more power.

EDIT: 2006 Ram 1500 HEMI ....Truck is completely stock with the exception of 33" Mudterrains. ANd was in recent accident but all damage was in the bed and bed side.

Last edited by IOVMatrix; 01-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IOVMatrix
Jcouch are you sure you have MDS?? Not calling you stupid but from what I have read there were some Hemis in Rams without MDS.

On a side note My truck just threw this code and only this code. At exactly 55000 miles. I took it to the local Autozone and there system said that it could be a Blocked oil Passage, low oil pressure, or a bad module or sensor. So i did an oil change with new filter and disconnected the battery for 25 mins to reset the computer. i have put about 30 mi after the oilchange and no lights have come on yet.

Before resetting the computer the performance was not very good but after the reset it was a whole lot different. alot more power.

EDIT: Truck is completely stock with the exception of 33" Mudterrains.
This is touching on a fairly old thread and even Jcouch's post is still 6months old now; however, to answer your question.... The ONLY Ram 1500 series Hemi's that did not come with MDS are the Megacabs because they are built on a 2500 chassis and are just too heavy for MDS.

MDS can throw codes if you are lacking on your oil changes OR you have excessive build-up in your passage ways.
I suggest using ONLY 5w-20 and if you do throw any more codes, pour in a 1qt bottle of Marvel Mystery oil and that will safely clean and polish your internals. It will slowly break loose all the crud that is built up anywhere inside the engine. Using harsh chemicals to clean anything always results in clogged orifices/passageways. I have used MMO for a long time and never once had an issue! You can safely run the stuff for an entire oil change, but for an initial cleaning, I wouldn't run it more than 1kmi but prefferably 500miles and then do another fresh oil change. You may throw a code for improper engine oil type with MMO, but it's not a big deal and still means everything is working properly. Beside's, you would never see the improper engine oil type unless you had a dealer Starscan tool.

I have a handheld tuner that disables MDS feature as it's terrible IMO. So, in short, I will never have trouble with mds....ever!

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
IOVMatrix

I have been slacking a bit on changes i went a bout 5000mi on my oil cange but I always used Royal Purple Synthetic 5W20 since I bought the truck at about 23000mi and K&N oil filters.( I really enjoy the easy off nut that is welded on it.) but if it comes back on then i will worry. about it but if it does then mmo it is with an oil change in 500 mi. but lets see where this goes first.

I am trying to get more info in here about this problem because there really is not a whole lot about it on the internet and this is the only thread google came up with on this subject. And i will continue to report what happens..

And I am Indifferent about MDS.. Its good for highway driving which i do alot of. BUt if I want to hammer down there is a huge delay before the the tires get power. so maybe an optional MDS off button would have been good for these trucks.

Last edited by IOVMatrix; 01-03-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IOVMatrix
And I am Indifferent about MDS.. Its good for highway driving which i do alot of. BUt if I want to hammer down there is a huge delay before the the tires get power. so maybe an optional MDS off button would have been good for these trucks.
mds off by dodge is not going to happen due to emissions stuff, but you can get a handheld tuner such as Diablo predator(more for custom apps) or a Suprchips tuner(more for stock) that both disable MDS. Check out the stickies at the top of the page for more info.
Superchips has a new trans upgrade option that allows you to change all kinds of stuff. partial upshifts/downshifts at any rpm/TP% you want. Reduce torque management, etc,....
I get almost as good of mileage on the highway with my updated shift schedule W/MDS disabled and I get better mileage in town w/mds disabled and the updated schedule. 13city/15-16highway is where I stand.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-03-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
IOVMatrix

Hmmm. Seems tempting to get that tuner for it. But for now lets make sure this problem goes away And no codes are thrown. Then a tuner might be next for the truck. Its been in the back of my mind for a while now with the oversize tires but maybe its time to take a close look at it.

Last edited by IOVMatrix; 01-03-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
IOVMatrix

UPDATE: 150 mi. and No code. Combined city and highway driving. looking good so far.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just put in in tow/haul mode around town and it will disable the MDS.
I turned mine back on now that gas is over $3 a gal once again. It does help about 1mpg on my 72mile a day round trip to work.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
IOVMatrix

500mi later and no codes.. im happy for now.. time to get a flashpaq on order.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM
armand_y

Hola, yo tengo una Dodge Ram SLT V8 5.7 Hemi modelo 2006, la semana pasada me comenzo a marcar el codigo P3400, la camioneta en ocasiones se sentia un poco mas pesada mientras estaba en marca, tambien hacia un ruido extraño en siertos momentos, fui a la agencia de Dodge para que la revisaran y resulto ser que el causante de ese codigo era la falta de aceite de motor, la barilla no marcaba aceite, lo extraño es que el tablero no me marcaba falta de aceite y el indicador me marcaba una buena presion de aceite. al final, el problema se soluciono haciendole un cambio de aceite. aqui solo me surge una duda, mi camioneta dice en el motor que debe usar un aceite 5W40 y la agencia dice que debe llevar Mopar 5W20 por ser hemi, ustedes cual usan en sus Hemi?

Quick Reply: Dtc p3400