3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold air intake experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Unicorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake experience

I am just wondering which of all the cai out there which one would help with mpg the best. Comments and experiences are apreciated.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the spectre intake which is a mopar/aem clone on my v6 and I got no mpg gain from it, but did get a little power. IMO the best mod for mpg gains is an e-fan, if you don't have one look into it.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Unicorn

what is an e fan ?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the AEM brute force. Had it two years and have not had one problem with it. Can not say if you will see an improvement in MPG, but it will improve your toque responsiveness,
FF

Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
hemipower05
Professional

Originally Posted by Unicorn
what is an e fan ?
i think an e-fan is just an electrical fan that replaces the one thats mounted to your engine. so instead of your engine having to use horsepower to spin it, you can save that hp, and just have a little electrical fan cooling off your engine!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most people dont see too much of an improvement in fuel economy from a CAI. but the BFI is a good quality intake for the money compared to otheres in the same price catergory.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Chambers is correct.

A CAI by itself will not give you any noticeable mpg gains. Only be re-doing the whole intake/exhaust system, and I'm talking headers all the way to the tailpipe, will you see any real mpg gains. But the gains will never pay for themselves in fuel savings.

Now I'm not saying a CAI is not a good thing, it works VERY well with other mods, like those listed above, but from strictly an MPG standpoint, the cost does not justify.

I believe the only mod that has a chance of paying for itself over time is an e-fan, the stock clutch fan robs a surprising amount of HP and fuel, especially in stop and go driving situations.

You could go the "pick and pull" route and configure a Furd Taurus fan to run in your truck for a minimal cost outlay as many have done or go for a new Flex-a-Lite fan as I and a good many others have. You should see a good 15 RWHP gain and a couple extra mpgs in town to boot...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-24-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

you really get 15 at the rear wheel from doing an e fan upgrade wow i thought it was only about 7 that is a nice little jump might have to move it up on the mod list and is there a DIY for the e-fan mod and sorry for thread jacking but it is already headed in that direction

Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Unicorn

hey guys thanks very much I am going to install an air raid cai and i already have a throttle body spacer. the guy at air raid said between the two it should see 2-4 mpg. i am aslo looking into the e-fan i never new there was such a thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You could go the "pick and pull" route and configure a Furd Taurus fan to run in your truck for a minimal cost outlay as many have done or go for a new Flex-a-Lite fan as I and a good many others have. You should see a good 15 RWHP gain and a couple extra mpgs in town to boot...
Can't beat the pick and pull route. That is where I got mine for something like $20 or $30. It is the best mod that I have done for MPG increase.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake experience