3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help, driving in sand a 4x2 quad cab ram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
rob_net
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, driving in sand a 4x2 quad cab ram?

hi

I have a 2005 quad cab slt 4.7 ram with a 20" tires in mexico, and last day i need to go to the beach and I could see alot of truck 4x2 driving in sand (wet or soft) like a silverado, cheyene, titan, jeep's, etc., what i need to do it to drive in sand with my truck?

I need to drive in 1 or in D?, with tow/haul activated?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:19 PM
locked up
Professional
Default RE: help, driving in sand a 4x2 quad cab ram?

Wet sand is a lot harder and thus easier to drive on, but I wouldn't want to be spraying all the salt all over my junk.

Momentum is key on the soft stuff if you are a 2wd. It's harder to get going than to stay going, unless you are getting twisty on dunes or something.

Should be fine to leave it in D, just try not to spin the tires when you take off as they will probably just dig right in.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Default RE: help, driving in sand a 4x2 quad cab ram?

ORIGINAL: rob_net
what i need to do it to drive in sand with my truck?
I would drop the Tire pressure down to 6 to 10 psi. (6 in rear 10 in front).
I've spent some time running around at the silverlake sand dunes in Michigan,
most of the time in 2wd and I was fine, the only time I ingaged 4wd was on the hill climbs.

The fastest way to deflate the tires is to get a valve stem core remover. you can pick
one up at any car parts store. Also pick up some extra valve cores just incase you drop/loose one

oh and a word of advice, dont try and do doughnuts on the sand with the tire presure down,
you'll pop a tire off the the bead of the rim.

Quick Reply: help, driving in sand a 4x2 quad cab ram?