3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Front Control Module (FCM)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
myoukey
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure that yor relay is working first off. if it is you can run a single wire from one side of the relay into the cab, put a toggle switch on it and run it back out to the other side of the relay.... this bypasses the funtion of the FCM controlling the relay that completes the circuit that the lights are on. Here is how I had mine for over a year before I finally decided to fix it properly. Pay attention to only the blue wire - the others are for other things.

Last edited by myoukey; 01-17-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Ken2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread.
Maybe a better solution has already been figured out, but this is what I ended up doing.

My truck is not worth a $600 part for the running lights to work.

I have the same problem as everyone else.
My blinkers, headlights, breaklights, and everything work, but my tail lights / parking lights, don't work because of the FCM I guess.

myoukey's post was helpful, and I was trying to find a temporary solution.

Here was what I came up with.
The Relay #72 controls the tail lights / running lights.
As it was, my relay wasn't doing anything because of the FCM, so there was no need for it anymore.

I did not want to run wires into the cab with a toggle switch to turn the tail lights on, so I searched for a power source that was only on when the key was on.
I used fuse #29 which is a cigar lighter.
I put a jumper from the bottom side of the #29 fuse, to the "top" side of the #72 relay.

It only gives power when the key is on, so my running lights are on anytime the truck is running, but I can live with that.

Here is a picture.
Thanks for all the useful info on this forum.

Attached Thumbnails Front Control Module (FCM)-dodge-jumper.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 09:36 AM
reneek
Thumbs down

Very interested in how many of you have been waiting for a new PDC. I had mine go in 2012. I own a 2003 2500HD, 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. Truck was running awesome. Went 2 miles and didn't think I was going to get it home. Scanned the computer it said random multiple cylinder misfire, inspected coils, found a few that may have been bad. Replaced all the coils, plugs, plug wires, rescanned. Now coded Throttle body, which had already been replaced a few months prior. Also coded that the computer needed to be reprogramed or replaced. Took to dealership so we didn't throw more money away on parts that were not necessary. Dealership said computer was bad. They wanted 500 for the part. I had it rebuilt for half the cost. Installed in dealership parking lot and had them reprogram. Would not run. Now they started with the well try this, try that. I brought it to the dealership so I could find out the issue, if I wanted to replace every part on the truck I could have saved myself their diagnostic and programing fees. Towed the truck back out of the dealership and diagnosed the problem ourselves. The PDC is fried. Melted beyond repair. Called to order new part was told it was on National Backorder. #229 in line. Here we are,,,, 2014. The part is now discontinued and will never be available. I have a truck that I have $2,000 worth of brand new parts on it. That does not include the brakes all the way around the brand new hubs at $400 each that never even go on the truck, but cant return because I bought them just before the truck broke down 2 years ago. Now my rear brakes are locked up, the tires have flat spots from sitting for 2 years, the gas lines, brake lines, trans pan, oil pan are all rusted out now due to sitting for 2 years waiting for this part. A part I will never get. I now have a $35,000 yard ornament. Also lost about $20,000 in plow money this past winter.. So who else has this same issue? We need to complain to Dodge first and if we get no results we need to file with the NHTSA. This should be a RECALL. I also had issues with my tail lights, trailer brakes, backup lights, these would blow the fuses on a regular basis. Had it checked at the dealership before the warranty was even up. No problem was found at the time. I have filed a complaint with Dodge. They told me the part was discontinued, and have their guys looking for one. They found one part in the entire country. Can't tell me the manufacture, can't get me the #s off the part to compare to mine, want $550 for it. Can only tell me its from a guy that finds vintage parts. But they do guarantee the part is not OEM

Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 PM
se1911

03 ram 1500 4x4 quad 5.7

Having headlight issues and after reading I'm assuming it is either FCM or fuze box.

Pulled both from a junk yard, but the part #s don't quite match. Only the last letter is different.

FCM Original 56049681AB The one from junk yard ends in AA

PDC Original P56045433AI The one from junk yard ends in AH

Anyone know if these are compatible?

I did a part# search at factorypartsdepot.com on both FCM #s and the new # for both is RL051036AF
I'm hoping to use the one I pulled from the yard to troubleshoot, but want to make sure they're compatible first. Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Hemiquad04

So here is what I have going on. Id like to see if anybody has any suggestions.
2004 2500HD 4x4 Quad Laramie

-Both head lights work consistently on High beams only
-One of the low beams sometimes works
-Not sure if all other lights work or not but Im going to check when I get home after reading the other posts.
-Horn will not stop honking(unless I remove the horn fuse or unplug the plug in the steering column) It scared the crap out of me at 130 in the morning going off for no reason.

I have FCM #56051036AD A. Im not sure if the problem is in the FCM or PDC or maybe even someplace else. But like everybody else I don't want to spend $1000 replacing both on a backordered, discontinued part.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Tony14
Question replacing a front control mod.

Hey guys ,I have a 2004 ram 1500. I need to know the best way to go about changing the control mod on the fuse box. I was told this was my problem concerning my headlights not working properly. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
se1911

Originally Posted by Tony14
Hey guys ,I have a 2004 ram 1500. I need to know the best way to go about changing the control mod on the fuse box. I was told this was my problem concerning my headlights not working properly. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
Replacing the FCM is very easy. There are a couple screws on the fuze box that need to be removed. Then the fuze box slides to the left. The FCM is mounted on the drivers side of the fuze box, and is attached with four screws.

If you know how to use a meter I can give you info on checking voltage into the FCM and out of the fuze box to the lights.

I spent several weeks t/s this issue on an 03 1500 that ended up being the aftermarket HID harness.

I also have a new FCM I bought to fix my lights that I didn't use if you're interested in buying it.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Tony14
Default Fcm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.I had a guy that used to work at a Dodge dealership check it out, and he told me it was the fcm.Hope he was right.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 AM
se1911

Originally Posted by Tony14
Thanks, I'll give it a try.I had a guy that used to work at a Dodge dealership check it out, and he told me it was the fcm.Hope he was right.
The FCM is an expensive part to replace without troubleshooting. Ask me how I know.

Did your friend check any wires or voltage?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM
jbutler50

Hi All, I have some similar issues with a '03 Hemi. My drivers side blinker stays on solid when I turn the truck off. Passenger side blinkers work fine. When I turn the truck on "Lamp Out" shows on the display. Another thing, is the IPM (Integrated Power Module) the same as the fuse box the same as the PDC that you all are referring to. Do you have to reprogram when replacing either of these.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Front Control Module (FCM)