3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-Connect & Navigation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow U-Connect & Navigation.

I am thinking about installing a navigation system in my 08 Dodge Ram 1500, but i have a few questions concerning the Bluetooth. My truck came with the factory U-Connect and the REF Stereo systems installed.

The concern i have is that whatever i decide to get, I'm guessing the factory u connect would be pretty much useless or made inoperable ? ? Is their some type of harness that would allow me to keep it & use it ?

If there is no way around that, seeing that my rear view mirrors has buttons for the bluetooth, would i be able to install the non u-connect version of the mirror in, wiring ? ?

What about the hardware & harnesses for the factory bluetooth can it be removed ?

The goal is to retain a fully functional look as well as not having extra electronics that arent needed ?

Anyway opinions and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

It depends, are you going to install a factory or aftermarket radio? If you install the factory REC radio, then everything should work without any problem. And if you get the factory RER (mygig) radio, which has the Uconnect already built in, Mopar does make a harness that allows you to use the buttons and mic on the mirror. Although, to use the RER, you would need to buy the Lockpick adapter for the radio to work. But if you get an aftermarket radio, usually the bluetooth is built in also, so all you would need is a mic from whatever company makes the radio. As for the factory wiring and Uconnect module, it would probably be easier just to leave them there, if you can find them, it's not like there is a shortage of room behind the dash. Same for the mirror, unless it bothers you that much, in which case, I'm sure you can buy the regular mirror from the dealer or find one online.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Arrow

Well considering that the stock REC/RER is $800+, i am thinking after market might be better in proving me with options and expandability down the line. I think i would need a lockpick unit in addition to install the RER too, right ($300+) ? Opinions, am i wrong ?

If so what are some common liked nav units that are installed in this truck ? I read about the Pioneer Avic models a bit ?

Some people mentioned needing the canbus wire harness others dont ? why is that..

I appreciate the help.
Pete

Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

I have the RER in my truck, and with the Lockpick adapter, and IPod A/V cable (since I got a 08 radio, which unfortunately doesn’t have the IPod control) it was $1100. Which isn't too bad since most aftermarket nav radios start around there, just for the radio. And plus, besides needing the Lockpick, it was pretty much plug and play. But, if I had the money to get a new radio, I would want to get the new Pioneer Avic-Z something, I forget the model number. But on their website, the MSRP is $1800, which is quite pricey. But for the time being, I like the RER, as it has pretty much all the features that the aftermarket radios have, except for the IPod control, which the 09-up RER’s have. As for the canbus wiring harness, I think that the 06-08 trucks need it.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I actually think it might end up being the same price or cheaper in the end. I have been doing some research...

If for example i pick up the mid model Avic X710BT for $750
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...IC-X710BT.html

I will need the Factory Dash bezel less than 100$ at dealer.

I believe i will need and antenna adapter $5
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a+40-CR10.html

Dash Kit
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+CR1289.html

CanBus Harness
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CCR03SRB-.html

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Pete

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, a Garmin or Tom Tom suction cupped to the windshield for about $120

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Well Lxman i had a portable Magellan unit not too long ago but someone broke into the truck and jacked it. While it worked wonderfully i didn't like that it was on my winshield and probably would like a built in one better.

I guess my next question would be for the people who have installed after market units, where have they installed the antenna ? microphone ? Pictures maybe ?

Also if anyone has an 08 Dodge Parts Book, can they get me the part number for the Rear View Mirror with AutoDimming but no Blue tooth Controls/buttons.

Thanks
Peter

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Anyone have install pics of mic placement, HD Reciever or GPS antenna ?

Thanks
Pete

Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I am finished with my Avic Nav install but i seem to be having a problem with the bluetooth connectivity.

I disconnected the UConnect wires to the rear View mirror but my phone is still trying to go crazy to connect to "U-Connect". I have removed the profile but for some reason it still continuously tries to reconnect to the Audio Device.

This leads me to believe that my phone, Pioneer Avic and U-Connect are having some sort of confusion. I think at this point i either need to disable/disconnect the u-connect module ? Is this possible, where is it ?

Thanks
Pete

Old 10-23-2009, 02:23 PM
NoFearEyes
Rookie

I'm thinking abour adding NAV to my 2002 quadcab--I found OEM Nav radios online for 500--600---do a google search and ebay search. There are some good buys out there--that way you keep the U-Connect.

Just checked eBay-none there at moment but they are around in that price range--

Quick Reply: U-Connect & Navigation.