3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this a good deal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my 04 which is pretty identical for less than 12k

Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
Just make the offer straight out. If you ask him what he wants and he says "$15k," then you look bad offering him $13k.

Don't bring the cash. I always do the transaction inside a bank.
Absolutly agree. Once you have the price set, if you do not want to do the deal in the bank, get a cashiers check...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
themom

Well my father-in-law and I went to see the truck. Drove 1 1/2 hours. He showed me around a bit then the guy just said the keys are in the truck, take it for a ride, just leave the keys in it when you get back. Call me if you want to buy it. What??? Nice truck, in very good, no excellent, condition. Decided to make the offer as many of you suggested. Before I had the chance to tell him how much I wanted to offer, he said he would give me the extended warranty (he said was worth $400) if I bought it for the asking price of $16,000. He would go $15,500 without it. I then told him "I would pay $13,000 cash today for it" He then started saying oh sure i could savea trip and take it home, he needed to look for the title anyway(he wasn't exactly sur where it was) and that I couldpay the rest later. Something about he only makes car payments once a year (yeah I was confused too). Then I said no you didn't understand that was my offer for the truck, I had scraped up all my kid had saved up and this is what he had to offer. He didn't move, so I then offered to pay $1,000 more "from mom". He said nope, he would sell it sooner or later and that he would get his asking price. Then he started pointing out all the great stuff on his new 09 Ram. Not really sure what the guy was thinking. It was time for me to go, so shook his hand and left. I was about a mile up the road when it hit me. He said he didn't know where the title was. What the heck did I drive over a hundred miles for? What if I had been ready to buy at his price. Oh I get more angry the more I think about it.
Well it was a good experience for me making a deal for a car all by myself ("dad" stayed in the car) A little intimidating, but I think I did well. Will know a little more the next time we look, and will know what we want too.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Good for you! The art of buying a car is like any other art, you get better with practice.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
Good for you! The art of buying a car is like any other art, you get better with practice.

+1, chances are you will find what your son wants plus some, at your price. Good thing is Dodge's are all over just keeping shopping.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep looking youll find more deals by the day obviously something was up with it no title in hand? kinda odd and the high price you could def find a better deal...good job walking out....

Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
themom
Talking

Had to share the latest update..

My son finally got back to me at 11pm last night. There was a blackout at his outpost so we hadn't im'd about his absolute max. He was disappointed I didn't report to him that he bought a truck. He was willing to go higher. I have to say I was actually glad. This is a very nice well taken care of truck. THere is worth in that to me.
So this morning I called the seller told him I had contact with my son who was willing to go to $15,500 with the extended warranty included in the price. His previous offer was $15,500 without the warranty. The seller asked me if I had checked my email this morning. He had apparently thought more about it and although he could not go as low as we wanted yesterday, he was willing to sell it for 15,000 without the warranty or 15,500 with it. He happened to be at the truck posting the new signs when I called. I told him to take the signs down, he just sold the truck. Now I get to tell my son, I can't wait.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I love it when I get something new.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM
hemipower05
Professional

i love that feeling when the dealer contacts you back!!! hahahaaa then you know YOU are the ultimate winner!!! lmao

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal...