3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

JBA headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JBA headers installed

Well. i had a nice report all typed up by Mozilla decided to crash and i lost it all. So, this will be very short.

My photobucket account doesn't show pics. i clicked on a "hide pics" button just below one pic and now I can't reverse it???? So no "worthless w/out pic" sayings unless your gonna fix my account.

I never intended to install the headers in search of High performance. they are rated at 15hp/15tq above 3200rpms which i never see empty. When i get out and tow, then i will post what my butt dyno feels.

i installed them for 2 reasons.
1. I have under $300 invested into them
2. Extra power/tq when towing is always a plus

Sound.. Slight tingyness is noticeable when against a wall and going up a hill. Guys that are familiar with LT's know the sound i am referring to. i just didn't know that shorties amplified that sound enough to be distictly heard. Slightly higher tone than before. When i say higher I mean not as muffled.
Install took 3hours. i ran a heat cycle and re-checked all header bolts. i re-used Factory geaskets as they are fairly thick and seemes to compress nicely. Zero leaks so far. I used JBA supplied hardware which consisted of 1.5" standard bolts with lock washers. i applied Anti-sieze to the threads and screwed in every bolt by hand to ensure no stripping! Factory bolts came out super easy being I only have 6400miles.
I'll keep everyone posted on MPG's as well.

I will say this. When i first started the truck i wish i had my camera turned on to video. The headers changed color very fast. it was amazing. they went from looking like normal mild steel to now they are that bronzed stainless color with some blue hue. The first temp change is the most color change they usually see. it would have been cool to have everyone see it. Hint..hint.. to those future guys! Color change only lasted about 30sec-1minute.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you got the uncoated unpainted ones? i seen them and thought about it but was a little worried about the heat that they would put off. i guess it couldn't be worse than stock. i don't have that little sheild on any more

Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes. i have the 1961s-1 headers which are Stainless uncoated headers. Factory cast manifolds put out WAY more heat then stainless shorties would any day.
Stainless is an insulator all by itself. I think all the "extra" header coatings are a bit over rated these days for shorty headers, especially in an open engine bay like in the ram. Now if I installed headers that were slammed againsts a tight compartment like in a car, then coating is well worth the expense.
Hopefully this will ease your mind on getting just stainless headers. Now, LT's are a diff. story and will emit a lot more heat. But that's not the case here.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I agree, I don't see any real benefit to coating shorty headers, just don't cheap out and get the mild steel and painted ones. Stainless is the way to go...
OMG a header thread where I didn't post a pic of my LT's, 'dog is gonna be SO upset... LMAO...

BTW 'dog, you can always upload your pics as attachment thumbnails straight from your PC, they will blow up to a very viewable size to anyone clicks on them who wants to see...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

^^^ Disappointed hammer....NOT...lol This thread is about me, not you....lmfao

I went through the site pics and i shrunk one pic to 20% size and it still used more than half the picture memory. The website format for that totally blows. There should be a much larger pic allowance that auto deletes uploaded images after so many days.

Because, now here's my pictures that are reduced in size so much now that they are otherwise useless. Good thing they are only header pics...lol AND I was still only able to get 3 with a reduced size of 10% of the original and to think my camera is only a 5mp that is freakin sad!

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

i just found out that you can upload them to your garage and copy and paste the bb code works great. no resizing or photobucket needed

Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

congrats on your purchase and install.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice dirty.... i want headers lol

Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

They are only Shorties and if i didn't get that killer deal AND if JBA didn't exchange the pass side header for the newer one, they wouldn't have went on. But they are on and now i can say I've got a Top brand header even though they are still shorties. Hold on for a sec while i go pat myself on the back....lmao J/K

I'll have to try that garage pic thing. i contacted Photobucket about my problme but who knows how long that will be before they get back???

Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice job DirtyDog ... I have been putting my pennies together for a set and I do plan on the JBA shorties (4.7L). Reading your point about the natural stainless coloration ... I will go with the natural as well. I was worried more that the natural would be a cheap stainless grade and start getting a real grungy look to them.

Quick Reply: JBA headers installed