3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How Much MPG do you get? And will this increse mine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
pavester
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try changing your egr valve. i was sitting around 11.5-12.2 mpg and got the code to replace mine. when i did i stay around 14.3 mpg in the city. 17 on the highway.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I feel like a noob asking this but what's the egr valve and what does it do if replaced to help mileage?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmiller369
im 20 years old and in the air force. im pretty good with cars but im not sure what an mds is. so dont be to mean...does it have to do with ignition system like coils and that crap?

Your truck doesn't have MDS. It is only used on the 1500 NON megacab models. It shuts down 4cyl to save on fuel. It's a total joke. Be glad you don't need a tuner to shut it off like everyone else does.
being a Megacab, those numbers are right on. It's exactly what i get in my 4x4 QC 1500.
You don't need to change the EGR...etc.... However, the spark plugs are due every 30kmi and use basic copper plugs. Don't use specialtly plugs as they don't work well in these engines due to 2 plugs per cylinder. 16plugs total.
I switched to Full Synthetic. Didn't make any difference that I noticed. You ALREADY have Synthetic fluid in your transmission. You ALREADY have Synthetic in your rear differential. I'm not sure what Daveb673 is trying to say because the only gain would be from changing oil and again like i said, I seen nothing.
I would say a handheld tuner is probably your best bet for gaining mileage and power. It's one or the other, not both. But, you can gain power and keep your mileage the same. I use Diablo Predator. Some use Superchips. They are very close in comparison.
Originally Posted by davb673
Well, if you put synthetic in the engine, that will save you about 3-4 friction hp. In the trans and rear end and you'll free up a total of 10hp. I have AMSOIL from stem to stern now. The efan will be the most noticable difference, but I can't give you any mpg numbers, as I swapped at about the 4k mile mark. At that time, mileage is still improving... The muffler will not do much until you install a good Y pipe from Flowmaster or Magnaflow. If you replace the hemi hat (plastic box) in front of the throttle body as part of the CAI, you can expect about 10hp. MPG, I don't know? If you install a power wire, that will help. It's worth about 1 mpg from what I've seen.
The ethanol is costing you about 10% mpg, as it does not pack as much energy as pure gasoline. It does have higher octane though, and costs less. I suggest Conoco, if it is available down there. Our base gets fuel from Flying J, and when I switched I got another 1.5 mpg.
Aerodynamics is the key to good highway mpg. I will try to take a couple pix of my aero mods if you like.
Our trucks are heavy. Mine is 5200 pounds. With a 4x4, you will not get great city mileage. I only get about 12mpg city with my truck. On the highway at 65mph, I am up to 23 right now. I just installed a Superchips w/87 tune, so once the PCM readjusts, I will check again...
As already said the 2007 Rams come with Synthetic fluid in the tranny and in the rear end from the factory! There is no gain to be had there. Only in the engine and I seen no gains.
As far as changing the "hemi hat" out, you will NOT gain any where near 10hp. It is NOT restrictive. It's hard to decribe so you should take a look at it yourself. You may gain 1hp maybe 2 topps. Not worth it for over $100 IMO. I picked up an Airaid tube for $56 shipped and that was almost too much to spend on something like that.
Ethanol..... There is only UP TO 10% Ethanol blended in with the gasoline. How would this cause a 10% in fuel mileage??? That would mean that the Ethanol gave you Zero MPG's. Genrally, Ethanol blends at 7%, so just because you see a sign that says up to 10% means there can be from 1%-10% ethanol in the fuel. Most of the time it's 7% not 10%. Let's say 10% for example. If it burns quicker than gasoline then we have to find out how much faster. I'm not going to search around for that variable so I will improvise on a whim. Let's say it burns twice as fast as gasoline(not true). This would mean you lose 50% in MPG's for the BLEND PART ONLY.
So if you take 90% gasoline 10% Ethanol with loosing 50% mpg's for the 10% of Ethanol used, you will ultimately in the end come out with a 5% MPG reduction. Now at 26 gallons that would mean 2.6gallons are Ethanol(at 10%) so you would only get 19.5miles at 15mpg on the highway versus 37miles with 100% gasoline. That means a difference of 19.5miles per tank of gas if using a 10% blend which once again are generally 7%.
So, guys thinking Ethanol creates a catastrphic loss are mistaken, however it does create a small loss. Much smaller than many would even realize. Your right foot plays a bigger role in MPG's than using an ethanol blended gasoline.

Just did a quick search. Ethanol appears to burn 30% faster than gasoline, so the numbers above(19.5miles) would be 10% less than shown.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mileage will improve enough to break even in, say, four years (maybe)

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM
draco8494
Captain

your truck is a 2500 in allmost every way, dunno why they call it a 1500??but mines not that bad, gets about 14 city and 17 hgwy but all ive got is a CAI and flowmaster 40, and yes you can run an E-fan without hurting anything on a 2500 im looking into doing a ford Taurus E-fan install, they have 2 speeds and reportedly they flow about 3800 on high but low is plenty enough ^^teach up there has one and also has a write up on how he did it i think, but mileage isnt gonna be your friend in that beast sorry to say, the mods will help with power and low end grunt and maybe a few MPGS but it will be years b4 the mods pay for themselves, good luck

Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM
santafehemi
Professional

[QUOTE=dmiller369;1787318]2007 dodge ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
i get about 11 city and 15.5 highway.

i get 9-10 city and about 12-14 highway

Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
dmiller369

thanks guys and one more thing...with the e fan installation, that will obviosly void my warrenty on my fan but if my engine say overheats...would it be covered?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM
draco8494
Captain

oh yeah just so you know, dont go by the overhead....its normally not right, and changing tire sizes just makes it more wrong, use the pen and paper method or a calculator to figure out general MPG's over a tank

Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
draco8494
Captain

Originally Posted by dmiller369
thanks guys and one more thing...with the e fan installation, that will obviosly void my warrenty on my fan but if my engine say overheats...would it be covered?
im pretty sure you void your entire warranty by doing any sort of modification to the engine, but call the dealer first im not entirely sure

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with Ethanol in my former Ford Taurus gave me a 10% mpg decrease...
Dirtydog, I was unaware the tranny and rear end in Dodge RAMs had synthetic already. Interesting. I would not have done an entire tranny flush if I had known that. I read this article a couple years ago in Corvette Enthusiast magazine http://www.royalpurple.com/corvette-enthusiast.html Pretty interesting read. RP was worth 4hp over Mobil1.
AIRRAM was getting 15hp with the intakes he used to sell, and I recall seeing a TrueFlow dyno chart for 9hp on a 4.7L, but I can't seem to find it. This site has a little blurb that is similar: http://www.realtruck.com/true_flow_s...4591P1C1T.html Too bad that TrueFlow just went out of biz last month.
True, I have not dyno-tested my truck...
Dmiller, if you install an Efan, be sure you either get a complete kit like AIRRAM or Moe's sells, or if you get a fan, be sure it pulls 2700 CFM or more, and you get a thermo switch and a high power relay (mine is 40 amps) so you can wire it up without frying the thermo switch. I had a 20amp fuse for my fan which worked fine when it was low 80s out and no a/c running. Try 90s plus a/c, and a 20 amp fuse is not enough.

Quick Reply: How Much MPG do you get? And will this increse mine?