3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new 3.7 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:59 AM
1stRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 3.7 owner

Hey everybody, new to the forum and a new Dodge owner. I just bought an 04 Ram 1500 st reg. cab. (black) I bought the v6 5sp for the mileage, of course. I use it to tow 2300lbs everyday in my lawncare business. It tows allright but kinda slow taking off. It has the 3.55 gears in it. I'm still getting 15/16 mpg while towing. That was with 89 octane. This week I will find out if the 87 octane does the same.
I was thinking about changing out the gears to lower ones like 3.73's. I dont want to go lower than that for fear of losing mpg. Question, is there any other mod I can do that will increase torque w/o voiding the warranty? jet sells a chip but its around $300. I dont know if it would make a difference that would be worth the $300.
Also, I read on here about the 3" exhaust pipe may not be restrictive enough for backpressure. This thing has a huge muffler though. Maybe that equals out the pressure.? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:17 PM
RedRam225
Professional
Default RE: new 3.7 owner

I have a red regular cab /short bed 3.7 with the 5 speed. I LOVE THIS TRUCK! I put a Flowmaster muffler on it and I feel that it has certainly improved the throttle response. It is louder! The exhaust pipe on the truck is 2 and a quarter at the muffler, and right after the muffler it goes out to three. I used the stock pipe, and simply replaced the muffler. Single in, single out 2 and a quarter. I like it stock looking but not stock sounding. A new muffler will not void the warranty. The replacement cost me $200.00. I don't think a loss of backpressure is a problem - it isn't for me.

Another 3.7 owner here who works at a dealership discovered that the intake going to the throttle body from the air cleaner from the 3.7 Liberty fits the Ram. This eliminated the resonator, or whatever that box thing is that sits on the engine. I have not bought one yet, they go for about $35.00 at the dealership, and install in minutes. I can't imagine that this would void the warranty either. Also it looks totally stock in that it has "3.7" stamped right on it. Then if you just put in a high flow air filter, like the square K&N you should see some noticeable gains. If you do the air filter thing, post some info. I plan on doing it in the next month or so I’ll let you know.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:55 PM
ross944
Veteran

i have the 5 speed on the 4.7, i put in catback exhaust on mine and didnt feel any power loss with less back pressure. matched with my new intake i felt a pretty decent gain in pick up. as far as torque goes, not sure what to tell you, its a v6. The power programmer might help you cuz you can personalize it for when you are and arent towing the trailer. might save you alot of money ud spend on gears...

Old 03-29-2005, 09:35 PM
1stRam

Thanks guys for your replies! I think I will try the jeep liberty intake or an aftermarket cai and a flowmaster. I know the v6 wont ever have the power of the v8's but I just want it to be all it can be.
I bought a Mopar hitch for my truck and its the first time I've seen a hitch that small but it just bolts right up through the bumper and the steel tube behind the bumper. Not bad for $100. Today I hooked a chain around the hitch and tried to pull some huge red tip shrubs out of the ground but it didnt work. I think I needed the Hemi for that.
I really like this truck, I've always driven chevy's but now I'm pro Dodge.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1stRam

Thanks guys for your replies! I think I will try the jeep liberty intake or an aftermarket cai and a flowmaster. I know the v6 wont ever have the power of the v8's but I just want it to be all it can be.
I bought a Mopar hitch for my truck and its the first time I've seen a hitch that small but it just bolts right up through the bumper and the steel tube behind the bumper. Not bad for $100. Today I hooked a chain around the hitch and tried to pull some huge red tip shrubs out of the ground but it didnt work. I think I needed the Hemi for that.
I really like this truck, I've always driven chevy's but now I'm pro Dodge.

should have gotten a cummins for pulling up trees

did that last weekend, first try I ended up snapping the tow strap I had right in half on this huge dead bush at my g/f's parents house. went out and got a tow strap that was rated at 10K and doubled it over. came right out of the ground and didnt even touch the throttle, just rode the clutch took a 5 foot plug of dirt with the roots with it as well. ended up dragging it to the back yard[8D]

just messin with ya man. but what you could do is if you cant pull it out like that with your truck, try a winch

Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 AM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Glad to see another 3.7L owner.
I have an '03 3.7L 5 speed.
Where can we get the intake for the Liberty? What is the purpose of the resonator?
Let us know what you do to the truck...always looking for a good idea.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:30 AM
1stRam

Okay Drew,
you've made me jealous with the bragging about your diesel. [:@] j/k

yes thanks for the tip about the winch! I am going to have to get one.

The horsepower on the six banger @ 215 seems to be plenty, (even though you have to rev to 5 grand to get there)but torque is the real issue. 235lbs is not enough.

Moy old work truck was an 85 chevy scottsdale 3/4 with 350/400 turbo auto and 4.10 gears. Pretty good stump puller also. The 350 back then only came with 160hp and 260 torque. My Dodge has more hp but less tq.

Drew, what gears does your truck have in it?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
1stRam

ORIGINAL: BlueDodge

Glad to see another 3.7L owner.
I have an '03 3.7L 5 speed.
Where can we get the intake for the Liberty? What is the purpose of the resonator?
Let us know what you do to the truck...always looking for a good idea.
thanks BlueDodge,
I'll be glad to share any future mods

Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Ya the V6 loves to rev-up pretty high for a truck.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
mozingod
Rookie

3.7L 5sp owner here too.

I'm probably going to be towing our race car a few times this summer, weighing in at about 3000 lbs for the car and trailer, for something like 30 miles of all highway each way.

How painful do you think it'll be? [sm=smiley24.gif]

Quick Reply: new 3.7 owner