3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Power Wagon upgrades...esp for better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
thralkhan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Power Wagon upgrades...esp for better gas mileage

Hi!

I own a 2006 Power Wagon and was wondering if anyone has good mods I can use to improve gas mileage and performance. Right now I'm getting about 10-11 mpg, which I wasn't expecting to get.

I'm thinking if I open up the breathing (air intake and cat back) and maybe hooking up a Power Programmer could bring me up to 14 mpg.

Any PW owners have ideas? I've been driving a little smarter, too...not flooring it off the line and not going over 65 on the hwy.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
speed_man13
Professional

I am not a Powerwagon owner but want to be and just wanna say: Most people buy a truck for a truck, not the gas mileage. Yes most want the most out of it, but you just cant expect for it to increase that much I dont think. Sry, just my 2 cents.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
thralkhan

That was my original plan. I bought my PW because I wanted a 4wd...and where I was at, there have been many times when I needed one. I originally wanted a diesel, but have always loved PWs. I know they're not set up to be an economically sound vehicle. They're made to go and pull what and when you want. No other truck on the market is set up like PWs.

But since my job is changing, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep my VW GTI (which is my daily driver) AND my PW, which is my fun/play truck.

I feel I have to get rid of one, and although my GTI gets me 26-28 mpg, my PW is a more practical vehicle due to it being a quad cab truck. So if I can find some ways to get my mileage up there and substantiate it being a daily driver, the happier I'll be.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

programmer, and e-fan. but dont expect much. 1 mpg, maybe 2 if you are lucky. but make sure you have all your preventive maintenance done, ie: oil change, diff fluid, trans fluid, plugs, maybe even run some seafoam or marvel mystery oil through the entire engine and gas tank.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ain't no way, if you throw a couple grand into full exhaust (and headers have to be custom built on the truck for the Power Wagon), CAI, a custome tune, e-fan (which I would not recommend on a truck of that size) you may get a possible 2 mpg out of it. Would take you 3 lifetimes to make back what you put into it.

It's a very large, very heavy off-road beast from the factory, with 4.56 gears no less. Your best bet is to keep everything maintained well and use synthetics everywhere you can, because you may not be able to squeeze more than a mpg or two out of it, but something as simple as a dirty TB or bad EGR can rob you of 4-5 mpgs...

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Ain't no way, if you throw a couple grand into full exhaust (and headers have to be custom built on the truck for the Power Wagon), CAI, a custome tune, e-fan (which I would not recommend on a truck of that size) you may get a possible 2 mpg out of it. Would take you 3 lifetimes to make back what you put into it.

It's a very large, very heavy off-road beast from the factory, with 4.56 gears no less. Your best bet is to keep everything maintained well and use synthetics everywhere you can, because you may not be able to squeeze more than a mpg or two out of it, but something as simple as a dirty TB or bad EGR can rob you of 4-5 mpgs...
sorry to threadjack here thralkhan, but whats the deal with not recommending an e-fan for a truck that size? ive never heard anything about it, and was curious. and are you referring to all 3/4 ton and up trucks on that?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 PM
thralkhan

Maintenance on it is good...and one of the reasons why I got it is because it only has 20k miles on it! It's barely been driven. I realized with the lower gearing the mileage would be different, but I never thought it would be that bad. I was thinking more along the lines of 14mpg...fortunately, gas is affordable.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

14mpg with any hemi for city driving is a far stretch, let alone a heavy PW. i get 12.7 in town when barely touching the gas. so 11 isnt all that bad.

Quick Reply: 2006 Power Wagon upgrades...esp for better gas mileage