3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MeTaL....is you truck a 4x4 or a 2wd?
There are two different fliters (the big flat one) for the two differing types of vehicles.
The 4x4 has a longer filter pickup.
So, if they fitted a 2wd filter in a 4x4 vehicle, the trans would probably suck air, due to the filter pickup being too short.
Al.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After work today I decided to hit the highway and see how the trans felt when I was at WOT...was fine til I hit 80mph (about 6000 RPM) then it fell on its face, so I immediately let off the gas so it could find itself again...Could I have possibly messed up the trans when it was sucking air and no fluid?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Guess would be that they left the original spin on filter, which was probably already loaded, and when they put the RP in, the synthetic stripped all the deposits from the internals of the hydraulics and deposited them in your spin on filter plugging it. I know this often happens when changing from standard engine oils(dino) to synthetics. Most likely they will have to change the filter again, until you get the internals of the trans cleaned up, then you'll be good to go. As far as the solenoids operating backwards, that seems highly unlikely, as they are controlled by the computer. I would think that if that was the case, then you would have had problem codes with the sequencing long ago.

Quick Reply: Trans Problem...