3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel system maintence

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system maintence

Just wondering for our trucks since there really isn't a fuel filter other than the one in the tank what is needed as far as maintaining the fuel system.

I'm just wondering because you see all of the chemicals at auto parts stores that claim to clean the fuel system and what not and there seem to be two schools of thought on it all and i've not had enough experience to say what i would agree with. Does anyone here recommend running like a lucas fuel injector/system cleaner with their vehicle to help keep things clean.. should injectors be pulled and flushed at a certain interval?
I feel like i kinda lean more to the side of it all being snake oil but i'm not sure.
i'm just wondering because well since there isn't a fuel filter to maintain or anything i'm just kinda wondering.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner at least every time I change the oil, in all my vehichles. Never had a fuel problem and there are alot of miles on all my vehichles.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I also run a bottle of injector cleaner at each oil change. I use either Lucas, Techron (best there is, really) or Gumout for larger vehicles.
Honestly, if you use a name brand gasoline like Texaco, Chevron, BP etc, they all have quality cleaners in them already. I usually use Texaco. It has Techron already in it.
Extra cleaners are not required, but won't hurt either.
My Mustang has 165K on it and never had any injector issues, I have always used a bottle of cleaner every 3000 miles when I change the oil.

Quick Reply: fuel system maintence