3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead Console Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overhead Console Install

I thought the QC only came in V8?

Old 03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
BlueDodge
Rookie

RebelRam which ones did you get off ebay? Did you put in switches on the doors to control the locks from the indise or do you just use the keyfob from the keyless entry?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

got everything off e-bay. no switches for the power locks just the keyless but it's also ignition controlled locks and has a starter kill if you don't unlock it with the remote. The windows switches are the new safety style push down pull up type and are illuminated, even hooked them to the dimmer :P Got my cruise kit off e-bay too, brand new in box mopar kit for about 40 less than dealer price. My actuators are 2-wire and the keyless is a Crimestopper brand, the windows are Spal. Now I'm looking for the fold down center console with storage top and bottom. Getting the Overhead soon and have the manual for my truck, looks to be pretty easy. Might be installing a passenger side lock on the windows so that only my side can control it when the dog is in the truck, he has a bad habit of standing on the switch.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:53 PM
BlueDodge
Rookie

The actuators are they the pistol style? How hard was it to wire up the keyless system? The manual you have is it one of the CD's off ebay?
Thanks for the help so far Rebel.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:37 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

yes they are pistol style, the manual I have I actually got off a site I found on here and it's very good, and the keyless entry was super easy. With the two-wire actuators it's like 5 wires total, power, ground, lock, unlock and the ignition switching for the ignition control locks. The only downside to the system I got was that the way they wired the system for individual drivers and passengers unlock doesn't work with aftermarket actuators, only with factory power locks. But it doesn't matter the system is still very cool, oh I forgot that I also hooked mine to the interior light, parking lights, and horn for those features. Very cool, very easy. The parking light wire has to be resisted down 1.2k ohms but that was easy enough. Really a nice set up. It also has the ability to do timed lock 30seconds after you turn of the ignition if you don't key it to lock, but I do a lot of work on my truck and found it annoying when I was testing something that it would lock the doors everytime I turned the ignition off, and I installed the starter kill feature too which doesn't let the truck start if you don't unlock the doors with the keyless entry. I know that all started to sound complicated but it was REALLY easy with a moderate knowledge of DC wiring and a good wiring diagram for the truck, I have the manual and also found that Crimestopper and Bulldog security websites have basic diagrams that will give you all the wire colors you need for the keyless entry stuff, including horn, ignition wires, and lights.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:46 PM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Ok I don't got the part about the one problem you have with the system. Is it that it only unlocks both doors when you unlock it? If you can remember could you tell me the tread or the site that you got the book from? Thanks Rebel

Old 04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

hmm, no sure on the thread, I will research it later for ya though.. The keyless system I have because of the way it is wired will unlock both doors with one push of the button, it will not allow you to do a one push drivers two push passenger style set up. other than that it is awesome. just got my console today, gonna work on installing it this weekend.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 AM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Ok I understand what ya mean now...would rather have it open both doors. thanks rebel

Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

UPDATE!!!!!! It's in!!!!!!! Man this was ALOT easier than I thought. The overhead has 4 wires for the comp and 3 for the map lights, 2 of the maplight wires can be tapped into the comp wires(ground and fused power) so really only 5 connections to make. The harness under the drivers A pillar cover has all but one of the wires needed, it has the ground, fused power, ignition power, and maplight controller wires but not the PCI bus wire. Luckily this wire is located just under the dash where it runs into the diagnostic port so it was easy to tap. The hardest part of the install was cutting the headliner for the unit, with no template this is a bear. The material is really easy to cut but it is hard to get the dimensions of the hole right. I managed to do it by starting small and working my way out. I am extremely happy with the results. I found out that the outside temp sensor is on the truck even though I didn't have a console from the factory. It's nice how Dodge just puts some stuff there. Also I found out that inside the Passenger A pillar is the plug for the vanity mirror with lights so that would be an easy upgrade as well.

Cost of Project:
Overhead console: $65 off e-bay
Mounting Bracket for console: $50 from dealership
Miscellanious wire and connectors: $9 from radio shack

Total: $124 and 3 hours in driveway(most of that cutting headliner)

P.S. Dodge changed the wiring colors from '03 to '04 so matching the wires would have been REALLY hard but luckily I have both the '04 and '03 tech manuals

Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 AM
BlueDodge
Rookie

Sweet glad to hear it all worked for ya Rebel. How hard was it for ya to remove the panels? Did you get a tool or just pull on them? Now you got me wondering if the hook-up's are there for me to put the overhead pod in...I would really like the outside temp readout and maplights.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Install