3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cab lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
SEV7716
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab lights not working

I just installed my cab lights that I bought from Recon, I didnt want to drill a big hole into my roof so I cut the connectors off of the cab lights and then spliced the connectors back to the lights. Also in the kit I got the ground wire was a short wire with a loop at the end. I spliced the main wire from the harness into the factory cab light harness like the directions said to, I attached the ground wire loop to a screw in the roof of my truck, when I went to turn the lights on i got nothing. I tried messing with the groun wire, moving it around and all that, finally I just cut the loop off and spliced some extra wire to the ground and spliced that into the factory ground connection in the cab light harness, still nothing. I mad sure all my splices were good. So now all I got are 5 "decorative" lights. I will admit Im not the most electrical savvy guy. Anyone got any advice?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a meter and trace it out, where is the last place you have good power?

I had no issues on my install, but I drilled the roof and went straight by the book...

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Bad fuse maybe?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you run the wires into the cab if you didnt drill the big holes? Like hammer said Id check the power wire at the harness in the passenger side apillar and see if theres power and go from there.. you might have the wires crossed.. although It might not matter depending if your LEDs are polarized..

Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
SEV7716

I cut the the cab light connectors off the light and put the wires through the drill holes, I then reconnected the connectors to the lights by splicing the wires back together. And then I connected The cables to the the pillar like the instructions said. I replaced the fuse and still nothing, all I can maybe think of is either the grund is messed up or like Hammer said there might not be any power. I will have to check that.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

The leds are directional. If you hooked the hot lead of the light to the ground of the harness, they wont work. Try reversing the hot and ground and I'll bet they come on.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
SEV7716

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
The leds are directional. If you hooked the hot lead of the light to the ground of the harness, they wont work. Try reversing the hot and ground and I'll bet they come on.

with the harness, is there a certain way that the connectors from the lights have to go into the connectors on the harness? Like I stated in my first post, Im not the most electronically savvy guy, I usually just jerry rig stuff up and mess with it till it works but this I cant figure out.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Just make sure all the red leads go to one wire, and the black leads to the other. Then you can simply swap the leads at the the ground/power source to get it working.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM
SEV7716

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
Just make sure all the red leads go to one wire, and the black leads to the other. Then you can simply swap the leads at the the ground/power source to get it working.
Oh yeah I had all the correct wires connected right. As in my case with these cab lights, the problem turned out to be stupid simple. The fuse kept blowing. It was a 15 fuse. I replaced it with a 20 fuse and all the lights came on. By the way Rubberfrog where did you get the custom badges for your truck?

Quick Reply: Cab lights not working