3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine vibration... thoughts, comments, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine vibration... thoughts, comments, etc.

I know there is a lot of experience and good info amongst the folks here, so I am hoping to get some thoughts on my situation.

My first thought, since things seem to be generally going acceptably well is that I am simply getting too much air to the engine; if that is possible.

I have a 2006 Ram w5.7L HEMI (of course!!). My mods, of concern are a 3" cat-back muffler shop exhaust with a FlowMaster 50 series; SI/SO. I have a K&N 63-1533 air intake on the truck as well and have used a ProComp (Hypertech) tuner as well; both in 87 octane and 91-93 octane modes.

Without having this immediately hijacked regarding the tuner, etc be advised the situation occurs regardless of tune level and/or tuner being installed.

With the equipment as specified above on my engine, under hard acceleration, it seems to transmit a lot of vibration throughout the vehicle. It feels like it is coming from the front of the truck and affects the entire cab area. It also produces a somewhat rough, raspy sound.

However, If I change out the air intake to the stock box with a K&N drop-in and an Airaid MIT the engine is very smooth. Hence my wondering if it is just too much and/or too turbulent of air flow coming in through the K&N CAI.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

stock catback is 3" so no issue's are going to arise there.
I have a K&N drop in filter along with an Airaid MIT tube as well. I don't have any issue's.
I have a 91oct tune that i am running from my Diablosport. No issu'es there.
How many miles you got? Plugs are due around 30kmi!

An open air filter would create a raspy/louder sound, but shouldn't be vibrating your engine. You get no vibration with the drop in and only with the CAI?

I would unplug the battery to reset the ecu or pull the fuse. Change your plugs if you haven't and then go from there.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Ram4wd
Rookie

I have done the plugs, reset by disconnecting the battery and pulling the fuse and it only happens with the K&N CAI; tune or no tune. Again very smooth with the drop-in and MIT. But there is a noticeable performance decrease with the drop-in and MIT. And the tune diameter is smaller on the MIT than on the CAI???

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
chefred112
All Star

...did you change the Y out when you did your exhaust? it's a bottleneck in stock form (pinched pipes)...an aftermarket Y will smooth out acceleration when your trying to pass more exhaust out...

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Sounds like you are hearing the intake when you have the CAI on. Its muffled when you have the resonator (hemi hat) on there and the stock box.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

If he is running the MIT doesn't that bypass the hemi hat? So it would still be louder than stock but the CAI would still be louder imo. I think the problem is with exhaust flow more air more exhaust.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
chefred112
All Star

yup..at hard acceleration you'll hear the egr valve during shifts (with cai)...

Quick Reply: Engine vibration... thoughts, comments, etc.