3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealer Vehicle Check?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM
OptimusPrimalBear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Vehicle Check?

When a dealer has a used vehicle what if any inspections do they perform on it before listing it for sale? Are there any inspections that are required?

I purchased a used 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 with 41,892 miles on it on August 15, 2009. Once I got home I realized that the receiver end of the seatbelt in the middle back seat was crushed...you couldn't even put the seat belt into the receiver. I talked the sales man and they were going to order the part and get it fixed...that was on the 16th of August. Finally today I am going to be able to take it in to get fixed...Four weeks later!!!

Yesterday I used the windshield wipers to clean the windshield and found out one of they are bad.

I requested a build sheet from Dodge on the truck and they sent it to me...as well as informing me my truck is involved in a factory recall for steering linkage and I need to contact the dealer about that.

I would have thought these were items the dealer would have checked for. Just wondered if any of you guys work for any dealers and could tell me if it was required for them to do any inspections or if there is an industry standard for inspecting used vehicles before they sell them.

I am off to see the dealer today, and am not happy with their response just on the seatbelt issue. But what do you guys think?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Most dealers have many used cars and they do a super quick run through before they get parked on the lot. They "visually inspect" all items after a slae has been achieved. generally, if they are looking to just push the vehicle out of the door with little shop expense, then they do just the noticeable items and a complete state required inspection. wiper blades are usually required for state inspections, the center seatbelt is not.
2006 w/41kmi. i bet they never checked the differential fluids nor the transfercase fluid which are due every 30kmi.
I would demand they change the fluids as well because they probably "claim" to go through all the fluids and such. If you can, pop the rubber eye inspection tabs out of the diff's (if you have them) and stick your finger in there and put a sample of the fluid on a white paper towel or napkin so you can show them if the fluid is really dirty.
Maybe the previous owner was on top of things??? you never know! My father for instance had never changed fluids other than oil before the 60kmi mark. EVER in any of his trucks. He had problems with all of them about 60-70kmi. whether it was transfer case issu'es or clutch pack issue's or binding..etc.. from never changing the fluids.

Now, the dealer may try to say.....Nahhh, there's Synthetic fluid in there rated at 100kmi. No way. I drained and filled my rear diff at 3kmi. The first 1kmi are break in and after that there will be lots of metal and crap going arounf through the bearings and such. After that change, 15-30kmi depending on towing..etc..

Hope this wasn't too much info? i tend to do that..lol

Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should cut you a deal since they sold you defective safety equipment. Regarding the wipers, when you say they are bad, what do you mean? Are they bad as in the wiper blades are bad and need replacement or do the wipers themselves actually not work or something like that?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

steve, I would assume the wiper blades were trashed and needed to be replaced which is a violation if any state inspection.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would just put the better contour type type blades on anyway. The ones with no pressure points and wind deflectors. Get them at Walmart. Wiperblades are covered by the factory warranty for 12months/12,000 miles. After that, you are on your own. No vehicle state inspections here.

As for the recall, if it hasn't been done, it should show up when they pull up the vin for the seat belt repair.
You can go to www.dodge.com and enter the VIN# to check for recalls on your truck. It probably has already been done. Just click on the top right where it says "for owners"

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheels? check. Seats? check. OK, it's ready.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
They should cut you a deal since they sold you defective safety equipment. Regarding the wipers, when you say they are bad, what do you mean? Are they bad as in the wiper blades are bad and need replacement or do the wipers themselves actually not work or something like that?
Just read the piece about Sirius. Tears shed for a fine dog. Poor pup.

Quick Reply: Dealer Vehicle Check?