3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O3 Ram AC compressor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Rob B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O3 Ram AC compressor issue

Went out this morning to find the bearings (assuming) in the ac compressor clutch is basically going south real quick. Also noticed Saturday night that the air wasn't working either. Is there a replacement belt I can put on for now to bypass the AC unit until I get a chance to replace the compressor?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 AM
V10Venom
Captain

Just unplug that A/c, it will just let it free spin.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

bearings going on your A/C compressor along with no A/C means low on fluid and mainly OIL. There is supposed to be an exact mixof oil/freon in there. No oil=burnt up a/c compressor.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If the clutch bearing has failed, then I think you are going to have a hard time bypassing the compressor. I haven't really paid attention to the belt routing on the 03.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Veibz
Professional

I feel like I have been on here quoting prices for radiators and ac compressor kits all night haha. Oh well I am bored.

Complete AC Kit for the truck. NEW compressor, O-ring kit, Drier/accumulator, expansion device....

2003:
5.7L $212 for the whole kit
4.7L & 3.7L $199

Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds about right. Then you will need the proper amount of oil and freon.
Vacuum the system down to at least 29" of vacuum before charging.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Slayr
Default 4.7 AC Compressor Bypass

You need to either move the compressor out of the way...or remove the pulley from the compressor (don't forget that snap-ring before you use the puller) Then you have to make sure the belt runs all the accessories the correct direction....or you are just going to cause more damage (like spinning out the water pump). The belt you need for the 4.7L is originally 88" long. you will need to go with a 6 tooth 83" belt (Advance Auto). It is a snug fit at first (5" smaller than stock)...found it to be easier to slide it on to the water pump...instead of tying to get it up over a pulley lip. The job actually took me 4 hours to do. So allow time to do so. Hopefully the picture will help answer any unanswered questions.

Attached Thumbnails O3 Ram AC compressor issue-ac-removed.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Slayr
You need to either move the compressor out of the way...or remove the pulley from the compressor (don't forget that snap-ring before you use the puller) Then you have to make sure the belt runs all the accessories the correct direction....or you are just going to cause more damage (like spinning out the water pump). The belt you need for the 4.7L is originally 88" long. you will need to go with a 6 tooth 83" belt (Advance Auto). It is a snug fit at first (5" smaller than stock)...found it to be easier to slide it on to the water pump...instead of tying to get it up over a pulley lip. The job actually took me 4 hours to do. So allow time to do so. Hopefully the picture will help answer any unanswered questions.

Neat info

Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM
dented

Originally Posted by Slayr

Your post and photo saved me a ton of time, frustration, and all likelyhood, money. Thanks. I know this is a old thread, but I wanted to register and post to make sure people know that it mattered to somebody. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Sean Sanford
Default Re a better way to route belt

There is a better way to route belt

Last edited by Sean Sanford; 02-07-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Reply in wrong place

Quick Reply: O3 Ram AC compressor issue