3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Combustion gases in antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM
xshellshock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a compression test if possible, if not while cold open your radiator cap and start your truck. watch for bubbles in the coolant and smell for exhaust coming out.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
countrygirl4X4

So i went and picked her up today. runs like a champ.
he said all the tests show no blown head gasket.

theres no white smoke
no water in my oil
all that fun stuff

they even checked it twice once i told him which mechanic in town told me i had a blown head gasket, because apparently hes a god among men in this town.

im keeping a close eye on it- but for now- we're good to go.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Compression test is the only way to know for sure.

BTW: Have you had the transfer case looked at yet?

i have not...however, now that i had to spend way less on getting her back on the road than what i thought....it is now time for that.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya...

Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
countrygirl4X4

okay, so who didnt keep their fingers crossed???

this weekend went fine- until last night when I started her up and my engine light was back on.
and the white smoke was back.

i let her sit for the night- drove back this morning- temp. was just okay...never went more than a hair over halfway but it was going back and forth between below mid and above. (maybe because they changed the water pump out but not the thermostat?)

engine code is a random/multiple cylinder misfire.

oh...and as i was on my way to get the computer read...it stalled. in the middle of trying to pull out on the road. started up just fine again though.

and also.....when i popped the hood when i got home my coolant in the overflow tank was bubbling??
never heard of this before....normal?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The out-flow bubble noise is normal after a run. Thanks to the rad pressure relief cap and it is directing the fluid to the 'overFlow tank'. As I mentioned earlier, that baby is still cooking after the rad fan has quite doing it's job at engine shut down.
Why & when did you have the pump replaced? Was it shaft leaking or the machanic just said it was 'bad' due to no circulation.
When you went into the store and came out after a while, you saw "the temp had pegged out". Which did you do, leave the engine idling or switched the engine off?
If the latter, that is normal because the temp continues to rise due to the rad fan is off and no circulation. If you let it idle and got the over temp rise, leads to more questions. Is your rad fan, belt driven or elect?

Get back to using a good fuel like Shell middle grade and fuel ejector cleaner every third tank full. Don't run the tank down to no less than 1/3. Add 4oz of X1R at every oil change. Change the oil at least, every four mo or 4k miles.

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 09-27-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Combustion gases in antifreeze