3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeepers are some of most knowledgable group of people when it comes to off roading, and most of those guys are running the warns and ramseys. I have to agree with hammer on that one. On that note though, what winch does the army put on all of their hummers? Mile Marker. Dependable.

Honestly, if you stay with the top names, you will be fine based on this: How often are you really going to have to use your winch? (BTW, using it to pull trees insnt a good ide'er).

For pulling power, it is recommended to have 1.5 more capacity than vehilce weight, as stated above. There was an instance where I ****** blocked up because the strain on the single line seemed a little much.

ramhunter... Ive been working like a damned dog man. I like yer new truck though eh, actually quite jealous! But other than that, im still good lookin and wife is still even hotter. lmao....

Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
On that note though, what winch does the army put on all of their hummers? Mile Marker. Dependable.
I know the Military did at one point use Warn because I almost bought a military spec Warn winch once. I called Warn about fitment and was told those were not to be sold to the public and parts could not be obtained for them. So the 'no parts' was why i didnt get one.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can't go by the military anymore. My uncle is in procurement at West Point. It's basically not even an issue of low bid, but basically greasing the right palm...

I've seen the solenoids go on every brand so far except the Smittybuilts (but they've only been a player for about three years). If you just plan on having it for an emergency once every couple of years, go for price. If you plan to play often, or like me, have a piece of land where you'd use it more often, then spend the extra jing on a Warn or Ramsey...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I think the only reason Hammer bought the Warn is because it matches his truck! hahaha, just kidding.

I said it, and Hammer confirmed it, its really a question of how much are you going to use it? Go form there.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Hey, Ill likely never use mine but if I need to it is there and Im not skeered to say I bought mine to match the rest of my Warn setup.......LOL

Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

hahaha, awsome weedahoe. Just for clarification, the Army is putting Mile Marker on their hummers right now.

If you compare the 12000 lb Warn winch with the mile marker, the mile marker numbers are better. But hey, if your winch works the one time you need it too, I dont care if it a harbor freight winch spoolin your rig, its the best one at the moment!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

true that. if I didnt run across such good deals from time to time on my Warn setup, there is NO WAY I would pay when They want for thier gear. I think the whinch carrier plate and S cover is close to 500. To me thats a bit rediculous bit I paid maybe 100 shipped for both.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

You know its funny, when I had my jeep, I had warn bumpers front and rear, with the intention of installing a winch. I paid around 500 dollars for each bumper. Amazing. After having it installed for 6 months or so, I realized there were way better bumpers out on the market for the money. Hanson, poison spyder, fab fours.. and more.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Warn is high - crazy high... You wouldn't believe how much I got in my stainless trans4mer grill and brush guard.

But the stuff is quality...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Warn is high - crazy high... You wouldn't believe how much I got in my stainless trans4mer grill and brush guard.

But the stuff is quality...
I think you and I are the only ones with that setup too.

Quick Reply: winch?