3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo occasionally dies on 06 Ram?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM
RamQuadHD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo occasionally dies on 06 Ram?!?!?!?!

My OEM 6-disk/Sirius/AM/FM stereo occasionally dies whie driving. It stays like this untill next time I start the engine. Than it may work for the entire tip or not. It's like loosing power, everything goes blank unless I push the Time button when it shows what time it is for like a second.

What can it be? The amp, a fuse?

06 Ram Dually Laramie.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt it's tha amp. A fuse would cause complete power loss not spiratic power loss. I'd say it has a loose wire/connection orthere's something internally wrong with it. Lots of issues with these stereos it seems.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like either a bad internal solder joint or bad component. Sounds like the radio is slowly dying. If you like the RAQ unit that you have now, they often appear on Ebay. That's where I bought mine.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Dalt10
Amateur

Mine did the same thing in my 02. I changed the ignition switch and it works fine now. First time it did it my fan for my ac would stay on when the truck was turned off and the stereo would cut off for no reason. At around 15,000 miles the Dealer replaced the switch and it turned off after that and the stereo worked. Just last week at 120,000 miles my aftermarket Pioneer stopped working and my cigarette lighter quit working. I replaced the switch myself and the lighter and stereo works. Alot of electrical problems in the dash of the dodge trucks seems to go back to the ignition switch in the steering column. It controls more things than you think. I don't know if this is your problem but it worked for me.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
RamQuadHD

It's good to know about the ignition and it makes sense. I'll be watching for that. Radio seems fine now but who knows for how long. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Stereo occasionally dies on 06 Ram?!?!?!?!