3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NJ Lifted Truck Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I'd put the tiny tires on and act like it's perfectly legit because it is. Some guys keep stock tires on their truck with a lift. I'd keep my stock 33's if i did a 3" body lift. i wouldn't upgrade my tires unless it was 4" or more of a lift because they are an upgraded size already!
Good luck man. let us know how you make out.
Thanks dude, right now that is without a doubt the plan. I had the 20's with the 33's on there before I put the 35's on, so getting a set of 17's will probably look funny, but it'll also hopefully get me in specs. I'll let you know how it works out, I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy on Craigslist selling his wheels. But I'm trying to avoid the lifted truck inspection like the plague, I'm not putting mud flaps on the front and back of my truck, what a joke!!

...And to do the tilt test they have this scale set up. First they weigh the truck on level ground and get total weight and left and right weights. Then you drive up on that ramp on the left side and they measure the weight that is transferred to the passenger side, I think it has to be less than 62.4% or something like that. Plus all other sorts of laws and such, I can't imagine what someone with an older truck must go through at this place...

Name:  HighRiseAPsm.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  80.5 KB

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
harby
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
LMAO.. That's too funny. I'm sure if they wanted to find roll angle figures, they would just have to get the measurements of the vehicle and figure it out mathematically.
I was joking but it seems I wasn't that far off going by the photo above ^^^ LOL!!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by harby
I was joking but it seems I wasn't that far off going by the photo above ^^^ LOL!!
Nope, your right. just sounded far fetched.

To aid in the weight transfer, you could add wheel spacers and cheat the wheels out so they are flush with the fenders because i know the 17's are gonna be a little bit skinny.
Although, i'm sure your truck at that height and having skinnies is gonna have less tipping weight than my exploder. What a joke those are right from the factory!

Wheel spacers would prob put you over budget...lol or they may get you failed??? they certainly would help in the transfer though. That tiny bit goes along way up top.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to say the same thing about getting smaller tires to drop the truck to help you pass but I see it already has been mentioned. I am SO glad we dont have thing issues down here. Hell my frame is 19" off the ground now.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I am SO glad we dont have thing issues down here. Hell my frame is 19" off the ground now.
That's because you practically have ferris wheels on there....lol

Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ha Ha Ha (sarcasm). Not everyone can ride high and big like me.

Just wait until you see the 26/28s.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I was going to say the same thing about getting smaller tires to drop the truck to help you pass but I see it already has been mentioned. I am SO glad we dont have thing issues down here. Hell my frame is 19" off the ground now.
Weed, is your truck a 2wd? When I called the specialty inspection station they didn't ask if it was a 4wd or 2wd, quad/reg cab or anything else. So I'm assuming they just gave me the highest possibility for a 1500 from that year(2003). 19" is under the 20" OE height that they quoted me!

I called back and the measurement is 20" from the ground to the bottom of the lowest part of the door, meaning anything over 24" needs the crazy lifted truck inspection. With a 5" lift and 35" Mud Grapplers I'm at 25.25", so going down to 31's will put me at 23.25ish and then I can just go for a normal inspection. I'm not worried about passing any of the safety stuff or tilt test, my tires are shoved way out already, but you're right, wheel spacers are an immediate FAIL too! I just don't want to put extensions on my fender flairs to cover the tires completely, and then figure out how to mount mud flaps to cover the entire tire width, that's not a fun mod

Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just leave it the way you got it and let a bunch of air out of the tires when you get to the check station... maybe that will bring you down the 1.25''?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I'd assume if they saw some crazy sidewall bulge they'd ask me what's up. I heard a guy dropped his tires down to 12 psi and only ended up 1/2" lower. Part of me also thinks that if they see the tires hanging out beyond the fender flare at the normal inspection station they'll fail me

Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
just leave it the way you got it and let a bunch of air out of the tires when you get to the check station... maybe that will bring you down the 1.25''?
No, NJ will fail him for that too. This is what a joke NJ inspection is (I'm from there, btw, so I can talk all the **** I want - Go Eagles!). I was living there when I had my 72 Road Runner. I went through inspection (yup, even a 26 yr old car at the time) and they flunked me for emissions and having an extra third brake light that the previous owner had added for safety since the stock taillights are so low! I drove out, ripped the brake light out (it wasn't flush with the rear window) and turned the idle mixture screws on the carb damn near all the way down. Then I drove back through...it was sputtering a little from the mixture being so leaned out, but it passed! The damn horn didn't even work! I don't mind going there to visit family, but I'll be damned if I ever live there again.

Quick Reply: NJ Lifted Truck Inspection