3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NJ Lifted Truck Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry NJ Lifted Truck Inspection

I was driving aruond on Sunday after grabbing some lunch and was pulled over by a local law enforcer... Originally it was because something flew out of the bed of my truck(I was moving a bunch of little crap and lost a piece of paper or something), and then he walked around, noticed that I didn't have a front plate(I installed a bull bar a few weeks ago and didn't get a license plate relocator yet), and it also turns out my inspection was up in August(which I sorta knew, but anyway)... The dude was real cool, didn't give me a ticket, but told me that I had to go for a lifted truck inspection because it was over a certain height. I haven't been able to find much info about NJ lift laws on any DMV website, the guy I called at DMV was less than helpful, and all I've been able to do is paste together random facts from different websites. Has anyone taken a truck through the NJ Lifted Truck Inspection? It looks like it'll be a pain in the butt to pass, I need mud flaps, my tires have to be COMPLETELY covered by the fender flares, and then I have to pass a tilt test and a whole bunch of other things. It seems like anything lifted over 4" needs this fancy inspection I rolled through the inspection line this morning and noticed a lifted Jeep with normal tires going through. You think if I found a set of stock rims/tires I might be able to sneak through? I don't feel like going through all this stinking hassle!

Anyone have a stock set of rims and tires I can borrow for a weekend around the Central/Northern NJ/Philly area??

Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

How high is your lift? They would need to have a stock vehicle to compare to really???
Lifted trucks in NY are suppose to have proper bumper heights both front and back which means your not "suppose" to raise your bumpers along with your body on a lift if the lift is over a certain height. What that is???? I don't know.
if you put normal tires, that would eliminate the need of flares but still may require mudflaps? What the stock tires may do is put you below their "lifted truck" category????

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

It's a RCX 4.5"-6" lift, I probably have it at 4.5"/5", but since I'm running 35's as well that adds another 1 or 1.5" of lift, bringing me above this supposedly 4" total lift. Apparently they measure to the lowest point of the door sill and are supposed to compare that to a stock vehicle, I've been trying to get that number, but there are only 3 inspection sites in the state that run this special test and have the info I need. I called all 3 at 9:30 and no one answered. And I guess that's my hope, that the stock tires might not call as much attention to my rig and allow me to go through normal inspection. It's amazing to me that this glorious state is so consumed with a few guys lifting their trucks instead of trying to curb gang violence or drug use...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by JoshGotaHemi
It's a RCX 4.5"-6" lift, I probably have it at 4.5"/5", but since I'm running 35's as well that adds another 1 or 1.5" of lift, bringing me above this supposedly 4" total lift. Apparently they measure to the lowest point of the door sill and are supposed to compare that to a stock vehicle, I've been trying to get that number, but there are only 3 inspection sites in the state that run this special test and have the info I need. I called all 3 at 9:30 and no one answered. And I guess that's my hope, that the stock tires might not call as much attention to my rig and allow me to go through normal inspection. It's amazing to me that this glorious state is so consumed with a few guys lifting their trucks instead of trying to curb gang violence or drug use...

I tell ya what. Get on craigslist and buy a set of factory 17" wheels with the teeny tiny 31" tires. You can get a used set for like $350 I bet. Slap them on and drive to the inspection station. That will drop your ride down 4"...LMAO
it will be the easiest way to beat all of the crap. maybe the owner who is selling them will rent them to you....aaahahahahaaaa
WHo cares how silly your ride looks or even if they suspect you. i say prove it. I like the look of a tiny tire tell them....lol

Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Measuring off the bottom of the pinch welds, my truck was 16" up front/18" back and 17" at the driver door crease in the middle

Keep in mind...I have stock 33" rubber so they may go off the lower 31" number???

Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I tell ya what. Get on craigslist and buy a set of factory 17" wheels with the teeny tiny 31" tires... it will be the easiest way to beat all of the crap.
Dude, seriously! That's what I'm trying to do, I've been looking on craigslist and think I found a set of 17's about 30 minutes away. It's totally worth it to get around all this stuff they want me to do. I called the inspection station and the guy gave me a lecture on mud flaps, fender flares, proper lift kit installation, tilt angle safety and coutnless other crap, it seems like they want to fail people. I feel like what I pay to get another set of rims will be less than fender flare extensions, mud flaps, and whatever else they make me replace!

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Measuring off the bottom of the pinch welds, my truck was 16" up front/18" back and 17" at the driver door crease in the middle
That's interesting. The guy I talked to told me the OE door sill height was 20", so a 4" lift would mean that anything less than 24" would be OK. I measured last night and I was right around 24", so I'm thinking that with a set of 17's I'd be able to get about a 2" drop and be well within the legal limits for a normal inspection. My only curiosity is where they take the measurement, if it's the lowest point of the door or the inside where the floor is, because then I'm just screwed...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM
MontanaRAM
Captain

stock tire on the 17's is a 29 incher i think, cos my 33's are 4 inches taller than my spare. good luck with this man, hope you sneak through em!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MontanaRAM
stock tire on the 17's is a 29 incher i think, cos my 33's are 4 inches taller than my spare. good luck with this man, hope you sneak through em!

31.5 actually. 265/70/17=10.4" wide and 31.6" tall for the calc. Tires vary by as much as 1" from one manuf. to another. Then you have worn tires that will measure even less.
Putting a 31" used tire in place of a 35" tire will result in a 2" body drop.

I measured off the bottom of the pinch weld part. They must measure to the door sill when you open up the door.

I'd put the tiny tires on and act like it's perfectly legit because it is. Some guys keep stock tires on their truck with a lift. I'd keep my stock 33's if i did a 3" body lift. i wouldn't upgrade my tires unless it was 4" or more of a lift because they are an upgraded size already!
Good luck man. let us know how you make out.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
harby
Professional

Wow, you have some strange vehicle tests in the US, I certainly wouldn't like to see how they do the roll over/lean angle test, what do they do? strap your truck to a tilt bed and see when the wheels lift off?

Good luck with the test and take some pics if they do the tilt test!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by harby
Wow, you have some strange vehicle tests in the US, I certainly wouldn't like to see how they do the roll over/lean angle test, what do they do? strap your truck to a tilt bed and see when the wheels lift off?

Good luck with the test and take some pics if they do the tilt test!

LMAO.. That's too funny. I'm sure if they wanted to find roll angle figures, they would just have to get the measurements of the vehicle and figure it out mathematically.

Quick Reply: NJ Lifted Truck Inspection